SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is this suitable

Hi,
I'm looking at buying a power station to run my AP set up when away from home but there are so many its hard to know which will be suitable (plus I have zero experience of them)
I've narrowed it down to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DVGYDL5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3QWR2YMF6QQ93&psc=1

Its pricey ( I'd prefer to buy good quality that will last rather than buying cheaply) but its lithium which is what i'm after with a fair few sockets but im not sure how to work out if it'll run all my gear (the station is 288Wh) My set up will be as follows:

Laptop

ES EXOS-2 Mount (similar to HEQ 5)

2x Dew heaters

1x Single channel, dual port dew control

A dedicated astro camera further down the line

I'm sure there will be something i've forgotten though.

Tia

Steve

How long do you want to run the equipment for - is this just to cover a night away from mains power or multiple nights? The device you've linked to looks interesting. I use a Celestron Powertank Pro at a similar price but half the quoted capacity and have had no concerns on power (although I have not used it for more than 3 hours in a session). I provide power to my laptop with a cheap (£30) powertank which is about the equivalent to the laptop battery. It's worth noting that if you want the solar charger it is another £120 on top, although it looks included on the product photos.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

How long do you want to run the equipment for - is this just to cover a night away from mains power or multiple nights? The device you've linked to looks interesting. I use a Celestron Powertank Pro at a similar price but half the quoted capacity and have had no concerns on power (although I have not used it for more than 3 hours in a session). I provide power to my laptop with a cheap (£30) powertank which is about the equivalent to the laptop battery. It's worth noting that if you want the solar charger it is another £120 on top, although it looks included on the product photos.

Thanks for the reply mate. It's just for 1 night away from electric point (around 8 hours maximum really) I'm not bothered about the solar charger though.

I'm pretty naff at working out voltages when it comes to individual bits of kit & how that transfers to the power stations capacity & power duration, its probably easily enough but I'd rather it be over specced rather than under 🙂

Thanks

Steve

2 hours ago, nephilim said:

Thanks for the reply mate. It's just for 1 night away from electric point (around 8 hours maximum really) I'm not bothered about the solar charger though.

I'm pretty naff at working out voltages when it comes to individual bits of kit & how that transfers to the power stations capacity & power duration, its probably easily enough but I'd rather it be over specced rather than under 🙂

Thanks

Steve

You want to avoid using the 'mains' sockets as the inverters tend to be inefficient - make sure you can power everything you need from the 12v outputs or usb ports.

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I agree with the above because with the product you've linked you'll be using a battery with inverter to get to mains voltage, then you'll plug your mounts mains adaptor in which will then convert that mains voltage back to 12V DC. 

I'd go for a power tank which is 12v to begin with mate :)

I'm not saying this is exactly the right thing, but maybe look at something like this?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank-pro/ref/diyastro/

Reviews of the above "The tank needed charging upon its arrival and initial charge took more than 10 hours to charge (left it on charge over night). I guess abiut 12 houts in total
I was able to charge both my Neq6 mount and USB hub for 6 hours on an almost frosty night with plenty of power remaining. Recharge was about 4-5 hours
The power cable is for a Celestron mount and has a screw adapter however I found the cable to be a snug fit for the Skywatcher EQ5 and NEQ6 mount. There is another cable available from FLO if preferred.
The tank is light, rugged and can a few several devices simultaneously using mount power feed, cigarette socket and USB sockets.
I recommend this powertank"

"t’s very small, and it’s very light. So small and light that mine lives permanently on one tripod leg, with the lead cable-tied up to the top.

My old lead acid battery was rated at 17amp/hour, and would last about 2 hours with my gear. This one is rated at 13amp/hour, but it will power the same kit for 4 hours and still be at half power, according to the built-in battery level indicator.

Yes, it’s eye-wateringly expensive, compared to a car battery, but the massive run-time and the lack of weight, certainly mean you’re getting what you pay for."

It's 13 Amp hours so you would need to check how much power your equipment draws. E.g. if it draws 5 Amps then it will last just shy of 3 hours but you maybe don't want to run the power supply completely flat as I think it effects how well it recharges and it's shelve life. 

EDIT: had another look the item you linked and it does seem to have one or two 12v ports as well as the mains sockets, but maybe check if it will be ok out in the damp for hours? It could be fine. 

Edited by Lockie

2 hours ago, Lockie said:

Hi Steve, I agree with the above because with the product you've linked you'll be using a battery with inverter to get to mains voltage, then you'll plug your mounts mains adaptor in which will then convert that mains voltage back to 12V DC. 

I'd go for a power tank which is 12v to begin with mate :)

I'm not saying this is exactly the right thing, but maybe look at something like this?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank-pro/ref/diyastro/

Reviews of the above "The tank needed charging upon its arrival and initial charge took more than 10 hours to charge (left it on charge over night). I guess abiut 12 houts in total
I was able to charge both my Neq6 mount and USB hub for 6 hours on an almost frosty night with plenty of power remaining. Recharge was about 4-5 hours
The power cable is for a Celestron mount and has a screw adapter however I found the cable to be a snug fit for the Skywatcher EQ5 and NEQ6 mount. There is another cable available from FLO if preferred.
The tank is light, rugged and can a few several devices simultaneously using mount power feed, cigarette socket and USB sockets.
I recommend this powertank"

"t’s very small, and it’s very light. So small and light that mine lives permanently on one tripod leg, with the lead cable-tied up to the top.

My old lead acid battery was rated at 17amp/hour, and would last about 2 hours with my gear. This one is rated at 13amp/hour, but it will power the same kit for 4 hours and still be at half power, according to the built-in battery level indicator.

Yes, it’s eye-wateringly expensive, compared to a car battery, but the massive run-time and the lack of weight, certainly mean you’re getting what you pay for."

It's 13 Amp hours so you would need to check how much power your equipment draws. E.g. if it draws 5 Amps then it will last just shy of 3 hours but you maybe don't want to run the power supply completely flat as I think it effects how well it recharges and it's shelve life. 

EDIT: had another look the item you linked and it does seem to have one or two 12v ports as well as the mains sockets, but maybe check if it will be ok out in the damp for hours? It could be fine. 

Thanks Chris, I'll do a bit more research on that.

• Like 1