SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First attempt at M42/M43

Jm1973

11 hours ago, Pryce said:

Looks to me like you've clipped the blackpoint a bit, which has probably lost you some detail!  Very good first attempt though! 

It's possible. There was a lot of LP so I ended up bumping the black point up a bit.

I will be having another go at it at some point, so will try to do it when there is no moon next time.

Edited by Jm1973

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Getting some extended region there.

When you stacked the images did you use kappa sigma clipping, it can help with star shapes.

I used the defaults in APP. I will bear that in mind though. I'm pretty new to this so just finding my way around all the software.

As an aside, I find whenever I use DSS to stack, I find I get a lot of what I can only call large pixelation in the resulting stack. Like someone has been playhing dig dug or some 80s tunneling game on my image.

Not sure what's causing that really.

Edited by Jm1973

4 minutes ago, Jm1973 said:

It's possible. There was a lot of LP so I ended up bumping the black point up a bit.

There's always a better way to do it than by black clipping. What processing software are you using?

Ah, your post while I was typing has answered my question! Have you tried the gradient removal tools?

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Update.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

There's always a better way to do it than by black clipping. What processing software are you using?

Ah, your post while I was typing has answered my question! Have you tried the gradient removal tools?

Olly

Yeah, it's more or less the only thing I use it for.. apart from stacking.

I use the light pollution removal tool mainly, as this normally helps gets rid of vignetting as well as gradients.

I have had no success whatsoever with the correct vignetting tool.

I'm still yet to find a method for creating flats that gives me stacks without horrible vignetting.

Edited by Jm1973