SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 127. Which version?

I am thinking of adding a Skymax 127 to my armoury.  There have been several versions over the years. Starting with the blue tube. Then a totally black tube. Then a black diamond with Schott glass and it's logo on the tube, plus the white end collars. The current has the same black and white. But no Schott glass. Just wondered if there is a perceived difference in performance. Which would people prefer?

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I am thinking of adding a Skymax 127 to my armoury.  There have been several versions over the years. Starting with the blue tube. Then a totally black tube. Then a black diamond with Schott glass and it's logo on the tube, plus the white end collars. The current has the same black and white. But no Schott glass. Just wondered if there is a perceived difference in performance. Which would people prefer?

The latest Skymax still has the Schott glass. Nothing has changed other than the end to an agreement to use the Schott logo.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The latest Skymax still has the Schott glass. Nothing has changed other than the end to an agreement to use the Schott logo.

That's my understanding as well. Amazing the power that a sticker has !

I wouldn't mind if it came with a shot glass, for those days when it's just too cloudy to be worth setting up...

I don't know if the blue tube model uses the same materials, but since I took it apart and sorted a few little niggles (it was used when I bought it) I've been quite happy with the way it performs, to the point where it has been on holiday with us quite a few times now.  It's amazing how you can find space for a HEQ5 plus tripod, counterweights and power supply (and a couple of OTAs) in the car if you tuck them away when no-one is looking :)

James

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Or if you prefer another type of “shot” glass? 🤔. 😁😁😁

F8515F73-6174-4656-9BA0-9B76A4CBBD6C.jpeg

Might aswell take it with ice with the temperatures viewing the moon and mars tonight.lol.

14 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Might aswell take it with ice with the temperatures viewing the moon and mars tonight.lol.

Is it really still that warm in your neck of the woods?  Here it's down below 6.5C now, and it's been down to 3C a couple of times in the last week.

James