Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which zwo 120

Anthony1979

The mini is more meant for guiding, if only by its form factor and USB2 interface, if your use case is not guiding then get the USB3 one.

I did briefly touch on this on my blog, when upgrading to the ASI290 mini for guiding.

Edited by gilesco

14 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

So should go for the 2.0 the cheaper version

I would personally go for the USB3 version, many people have connectivity problems with the USB2 only ones, and need to flash the firmware with a "compatible" version sometimes from the ZWO website. I returned a 120 mono USB2 for USB3 version as I had issues too.

6 minutes ago, 7170 said:

I would personally go for the USB3 version, many people have connectivity problems with the USB2 only ones, and need to flash the firmware with a "compatible" version sometimes from the ZWO website. I returned a 120 mono USB2 for USB3 version as I had issues too.

Yes, if you want to do planetary, get the USB3.0 one, it will support a higher frame rate.

As I said the "mini" ones, which are purely cylindrical are usually meant for guiding. The camera's with a different form factor (like the 120MM/MC-S) are intended for planetary, although also suitable for guiding (if you sort out the camera ridge not interfering with your filter wheel).

As to the USB2.0 issues with the 120MM guide version, this, I believe, is specific to Linux (but also applies to RYO Raspberry Pi, Stellarmate, Astroberry, and other embedded  controllers that you might find on the market).

10 minutes ago, gilesco said:

As to the USB2.0 issues with the 120MM guide version, this, I believe, is specific to Linux (but also applies to RYO Raspberry Pi, Stellarmate, Astroberry, and other embedded  controllers that you might find on the market).

Like others I had USB issues on Windows and Linux, and tried a number of machines. The compatible firmware changes the packet size to be 512 instead of 1024, but some people (myself included) still had issues. A common view is use the USB3 version as it doesn't have this issue even if you just use it on a USB2 port.

2 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

Does the 3.0 version work on windows because it doesnt mention it in the discription

The USB3.0 works on Windows and works on both USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports. Although expect a lower frame rate when using it on USB2.0 ports.

ASCOM drivers available here: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software-drivers

5 minutes ago, Anthony1979 said:

How come there still sell the 2.0 version if theres a known problem with it

The type of problem is well documented, it only seems to occur with certain people in certain types of set up, and there is a "compatible firmware" that works around the problem. I thought it was just with Linux users, but it seems that some Windows users have a problem too.

At the time I was choosing this model of camera, I judged that my set up might be affected and bought the USB3.0 version, I've since moved on to the USB2.0 ASI290MM mini (better camera, USB2.0, but not affected by the USB2.0 problem on the ASI120MM mini).