Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars: 25th October 2020

dweller25

Hello, had a look at Mars last night - on my birthday - through my birthday present 🙂

There was once again quite a bit of high thin cloud (on Earth !) but it did help reduce the planets brightness.

Mars was very sharp through the scope but I immediately noticed that the main features had very low contrast.

The south polar cap was bright and there was dew/mist on the preceding and following limbs and to the right of the north pole. Sinus Sabaeus on the preceding limb and Niliacus Lacus at the north pole were the two most prominent dark features.

An enjoyable observation with my new toy telescope.

Takahashi FC100DZ plus binoviewers at x217, 21:00UT

mars_25_10_2020.jpg.30b1b05dacd616803921ddc84e7aec92.jpg

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 11

Nice way to celebrate your birthday and marked with a good reference drawing. It was interesting seeing some shading contrast in the north region; as you mention Niliacus Lacus. I started my brief session much later, Sinus Sabaeus had made way for Mare Erythraeum and the south region was quite heavily shaded, polar cap brght. I would be lost in explanation if not for that Mars Mapper.

• Like 1

Happy birthday David !

I agree with you on the contrast of the features on Mars being rather low last night. I was observing with my Vixen ED102 and Tak FC100 and to start with thought that the Vixen was not doing too well but the contrast was low with the Tak as well. There was detail to be seen but it had to be worked at. Maybe there is some dust in the Martian atmosphere ?

I'm sure that the s polar cap has increased a little in extent since opposition.

Nice sketch by the way. You have the pale pink colour of the lighter areas spot on as the visual observer sees them :thumbright:

It's a tough planet to observe, even with decent altitude and a favourable opposition.

• Like 1

Hi David

Very good sketch :) It looks very similar to what I could see around 8.30 last night. 

The details were quite low contrast last night, although there part of the I think it was Aeria appeared quite orange.

Cheers

Ian

44 minutes ago, lunator said:Hi David

Very good sketch :) It looks very similar to what I could see around 8.30 last night. 

The details were quite low contrast last night, although there part of the I think it was Aeria appeared quite orange.

Cheers

Ian

Hello Ian, thanks.

Yes, it should have been a similar view to mine on the night before, maybe dust on Mars is reducing the contrast ?