Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

USB3 extension Cable.

valleyman

I needed a long USB 3 cable and bought this 15m cable from Amazon. It's an active cable and needs to be  plugged into a power source  to work properly.  I've not had it long but so far it's working fine.  I have it plugged into a powered USB 3 hub.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VF7LRKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Edit: Just spotted that it's currently unavailable at Amazon.

Edited by Sir_Lancelot

How long do you need the entire USB3?

Personally USB2 or USB3 cables were the bane of my life for over a year. When I used extensions of any length (10M) then sometime they would work and others just nothing but problems.

I would certainly go with good quality cables and cannot recommend  LINDY enough especially their Cromo line.

But I still had issues even with good quality USB3 powered hub still had intermittent issues.

I did  asked many questions on SGL and the house was sort of split down the middle with some having great success with long USB cables and others saying don't bother as they will be trouble. So I was really confused to understand why some could get them to work well and others couldn't. 

I did have success with USB to Ethernet for distances over 20M. and now for over a year now I use a remote computer of some sort at the mount and keep USB cables to 2M or less then use remote desktop or similar to communicate from afar.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Steve

I went for the USB over ethernet solution even thought its only a 5m link to my warm room desk.

Works flawlessly , and very easy to extend the extra 20m to operate from beside the woodstove in the main living area once everything is set for a long run.

(on those mythical long clear nights you hear about in fairy tales).

Just needs a wall patch down the longer cable to the even more remote position.

Edited by fifeskies

I used these from Amazon. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B2HP3A2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had 2 x10m running from my laptop USB port to an unpowered hub.  That fed my Canon 7D, Starshoot Autoguider camera and EQ5 Pro mount.  Only the SSAG was drawing power from the USB so I got away with it.

I've just bought these and am setting them up for a link between my new pier and the house.  They worked fine on a test cable but not used in anger yet.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EV33R8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Michael

19 hours ago, fifeskies said:

I went for the USB over ethernet solution even thought its only a 5m link to my warm room desk.

Works flawlessly , and very easy to extend the extra 20m to operate from beside the woodstove in the main living area once everything is set for a long run.

(on those mythical long clear nights you hear about in fairy tales).

Just needs a wall patch down the longer cable to the even more remote position.

Similarly I went for USB over cat5e using the Lindy 5 socket hub.  Works perfectly and it's only one network cable going from where the hub is on my mount to my laptop inside the house, would never go back.

Rob