SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How do I update KStars/EKOS/INDI?

Ouroboros

Just that really .... how do I update KStars/EKOS/INDI?  

I run KStars/EKOS/INDI on my Mac with devices connected directly to it.  I don’t use an RPi or similar.  There doesn’t seem to be an update button in KStars, and anyway INDI might be updated differently. I’ve tried googling and searching the INDI forum and found nothing. Well except people saying they’ve updated drivers but not how to do it. I assume this is such an elementary question that no one thinks it needs explaining.  Thanks for any help. :) 

Just now, david_taurus83 said:

Ah I missed that bit. Never used a Mac. Is it not Linux?

I think it is based on FreeBSD, so Unix underneath but not 100% sure.

In fact, here is wiki article on XNU (macOS kernel):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU

it looks it is some sort of hybrid with some parts of BSD and later FreeBSD inside.

On the Mac, your options are to:

(1) Compile from source, to run the latest, yet unstable (and particularly unstable at the moment while changes go through to 3.5.0 release)
(2) Download latest Stable from https://edu.kde.org/kstars/

INDI is a distinct project although related and closely linked, you might get INDI functionality from the Kstars Mac download, or it might be a different process.

It had been hoped to have kstars 3.5.0 ready for some time this month, I feel this is being pushed back though, the latest features coming up are great, but not yet stable to the satisfaction of the developers.

41 minutes ago, gilesco said:

On the Mac, your options are to:

(1) Compile from source, to run the latest, yet unstable (and particularly unstable at the moment while changes go through to 3.5.0 release)
(2) Download latest Stable from https://edu.kde.org/kstars/

INDI is a distinct project although related and closely linked, you might get INDI functionality from the Kstars Mac download, or it might be a different process.

It had been hoped to have kstars 3.5.0 ready for some time this month, I feel this is being pushed back though, the latest features coming up are great, but not yet stable to the satisfaction of the developers.

Thanks. That’s how I originally downloaded the KStars I’m now using. It came with EKOS and INDI included. I wonder now whether I can just download the newer version on top as it were of the version I’m using, or whether to delete my current version before downloading the new one? 

I’m worried about losing all my device settings and the files used for the plate solving. 

4 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Incidentally @gilesco on the KStars download page you linked what are the MD5 and SHA256 files?  I didn’t download them before and yet my set up seems to work without them so what are they?  

They're just two different forms of checksum so you can ensure that the file has been downloaded correctly and not corrupted or hacked.

James

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Incidentally @gilesco on the KStars download page you linked what are the MD5 and SHA256 files?  I didn’t download them before and yet my set up seems to work without them so what are they?  

These are just checksum files that you can use to verify integrity / validity of installer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

And why two of ‘em? 

Md5 was used for a while until some people worked out how to change a file without changing the md5sum, so they brought in the sha512sum, which is supposed to be more secure.

Obviously it you obtain the checksum from the same place you obtained the file then checking it is somewhat moot, as whoever hacked the executable could have changed the checksum, but if you obtained it by other means then (e.g. bittorrent) then it is a valid check to make.

36 minutes ago, gilesco said:

Obviously it you obtain the checksum from the same place you obtained the file then checking it is somewhat moot, as whoever hacked the executable could have changed the checksum

I did wonder about that in my naive way. 

4 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Just that really .... how do I update KStars/EKOS/INDI?  

I run KStars/EKOS/INDI on my Mac with devices connected directly to it.  I don’t use an RPi or similar.  There doesn’t seem to be an update button in KStars, and anyway INDI might be updated differently. I’ve tried googling and searching the INDI forum and found nothing. Well except people saying they’ve updated drivers but not how to do it. I assume this is such an elementary question that no one thinks it needs explaining.  Thanks for any help. :) 

When you want to update, you just download the latest version and install over the top, you will keep all your Ekos profile settings... 👍😀

8 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

When you want to update, you just download the latest version and install over the top, you will keep all your Ekos profile settings... 👍😀

Brilliant! That’s what I wanted to know. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

..... oh, and just one more thing, Sir - as Lieutenant Columbo would say.   Suppose you just want to update drivers in INDI how do you do that?  

The same way, I suppose, lieutenant. It's a quantum procedure, with only integer values: all or nothing, but never inbetween.

That's my guess, at least, and the reason why I find Linux so much simpler.

7 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

..... oh, and just one more thing, Sir - as Lieutenant Columbo would say.   Suppose you just want to update drivers in INDI how do you do that?  

You can download the latest INDI releases from here.

https://github.com/indilib/indi/releases

But you will need to compile from source🤓

If you create an account on GitHub they will email you with what drivers are updated as they release new ones.

8 minutes ago, wornish said:

You can download the latest INDI releases from here.

https://github.com/indilib/indi/releases

But you will need to compile from source🤓

If you create an account on GitHub they will email you with what drivers are updated as they release new ones.

“.... you will need to compile from source“. I understand the meaning of the words but not combined in that particular configuration. :) 

It has struck me that whilst KSTARS/EKOS/INDI is reasonably straightforward to download and get working, and there’s even quite a good handbook, the maintenance and updates side of it feels like you have to be familiar with the black arts of computer science in order to understand what to do. I can’t be alone in feeling this way surely? 

• Haha 1