SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

are there Fake Baader Eyepieces ?

wesdon1

Hi all. Just wondering, does anyone know if there are any fake Baader eyepieces on the market ? Reason I'm asking is because i seen a Baader ep for sale and the Glass looks low quality, and the general appearance of the ep just doesn't look quality ?? here's a link directly to the ep in question. It's on Ebay, and is claimed to be a "Classic Ortho Baader Eyepiece".  Thanks, Wes.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baader-planetarium-10mm-classic-ortho-telescope-eyepiece/264910238411?hash=item3dade172cb%3Ag%3AwV0AAOSwYxFfkydk&LH_ItemCondition=1500|2000|2500|3000|7000 

Edited by wesdon1
needed to add more text.

The Baader Classic range do have a fairly basic and non-glossy fit and finish. The optics are pretty good though. The 10mm Classic Ortho is probably the best one in the range. If you are OK with the finsh, the 50 degree field of view and around 7-8 mm of eye relief, it is a really excellent eyepiece in terms of optical performance.

I've owned and used a few of these - that one for sale is the genuine article I'm sure.

Edited by John

Yep, that looks genuine.

I owned a full set some time back, complete with rotating turret - still available.. https://www.tringastro.co.uk/baader-q-turret-eyepiece-and-barlow-set-1275-p.asp

I recall that I was a bit miffed that Baader had ended production of the wonderful Baader Genuine Ortho (BGO) range, and the new "Classic" range didn't look nearly so nice.. however, John conducted a test of the new ones on this site, and was very complementary about their performance for the price (at launch, they were very significantly cheaper than the old BGOs), and he particularly waxed lyrical about the 6mm. 

I thought that the 6mm was probably the best of the shorter focal lengths, although eventually as my eyes got older I felt less able to accommodate the shorter eye relief that all orthos offer.

I would think that for the one you are watching online, a sale price of £30-35 posted seems reasonable?

Good luck.

Dave

• Like 1

Cracking eps- I’ve grown to really like their cheap and cheerful ultralight aluminium build- quite utilitarian and the glass is great- it’s just catching the light a bit funny as pointed out. The only thing i don’t like are the flappy rubber eye cups but they can be removed/trimmed etc.I dusted the insides of the barrels with matt black paint as the anodising is a bit shiny. Looks like mine- it’s a genuine BCO (GBCO) 😉

• Like 1

We will be hard pressed to find a better galaxy/Pn eyepiece than the 10 BCO IMHO. I also painted the inside of the barrel flat black- does it make a difference? depends on the dob its used in. Refractors, no difference. If the dob has stray light very well controlled, no difference. If it doesn't- difference. Of course this is to my eyes.

• Like 1