Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thinking of selling my Questar 3.5

11 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I also have a watch, a Russian tank Commanders model, no less, it said so on the box when I bought it in a transport cafe for £3, I didn't get a battery with it though.  It keeps as good time as far as I'm concerned as a Rolex.  So, if "bling" is your thing and you can afford it, get a Questar, Rolex or whatever.      🙂  

Crikey, you got me looking up russian military watches on ebay!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Merlin said:

Nice yes, but too small an aperture for serious astronomy. Give me a standard 8-inch Newtonian anytime.

How many of us do "serious" astronomy ?

I've always thought of myself as a "sky tourist" :smiley:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John said:

How many of us do "serious" astronomy ?

I've always thought of myself as a "sky tourist" :smiley:

The only serious thing about astronomy atm is the serious amount of kit under-utilised due to recent bad weather 🙁

Having said that it’s clear here so I’m not complaining 👍

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I know it's an old post but I have an interest in Questars. Why would any one decide to buy one and be 'thnking' of selling it a year later? Like every thing else it pays to know why you are buying anything that costs more than a pint or three (remember them ?). This was the full monty Questar which is even now a very well made compact scope, with setting circles, clutchless slow motions , tracking mount, finder, diagonal prism, photo port, barlow all in one rather attractive case. This is quite a bit more than an OTA and todays buyer might well go for a Vaonis Stellina instead, something which no doubt bemuses most on this forum too.

My own Questar field scope (serial number of  1983 production sold to MoD) was affordable without either the bling printed exterior or quirky table top mount etc, but with identical optics and controls. It is still fully functional, ridiculously light and compact, has the resolution of an 89mm aperture, light gathering of say a 76mm, zero chromatic and few other aberrations. It needs only an eyepiece and tiny mount and has gone in hand luggage to New Zealand twice. It will outlive me and still be operating as intended. My mechanical watches and clocks will do the same, but require expensive servicing and repair to do so. Over it's lifetime it perhaps does represent good value? When I eventually have to sell it I'll find out. Equally If it is not a telescope I wanted to use it would  be a bad buy.