SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thinking of selling my Questar 3.5

Just trying to get some feedback before putting it up for sale.  I got it new from Questar in April of 2019.  The scope is, for all intents and purposes, new..not officially new, but practically.

It would include the scope and all of the accessories that come with it...two Brandon eyepieces, off axis solar filter, legs for table equatorial mount, and accessories that allow attaching DSLR to prime focus and also adapters that allow fitting a camera to an eyepieces, PLUS a full aperture solar filter ("white light filter").  Also Powerguide III with hand controller that will work with one 9v battery or AC plug in.  The scope also has the broadband coatings which increase the reflectivity by 22%.  Carrying case of course included.  I am thinking of an asking price of $5500.  I think that's fair, and  buyer would not have to wait 6 months for delivery, as I did.  Whadaya think?

I'm not sure what you paid new for this scope, but scopes are a bit like cars; buy one and try selling it the next day and you'll not get close to the price you paid 24 hours earlier. Having said that, the Questar is a classic and quite beautiful telescope, so someone who values the brand may pay a high price to acquire one. Generally though, even a near new top end scope in excellent condition, might still only bring two thirds the new price on the second hand market. And when the asking price is high, many potential buyers would likely look at other options that would be available for a similar price, making a sale even more difficult.

• Like 7

Most of the used Q's I have seen are hardly less than two years from the "mother ship" but are more like 50 years old.  I was just wondering if someone who is ready to buy a brand new one would be interested.  I know that two years ago when I ordered mine, I would have definitely been interested.  I am knocking over $500 off what I paid.  Everything is virtually mint.

A few months ago I paid just over 3K for a second hand 20 year old 0.989 Strehl TMB LZOS,  possibly more than it cost new, I may be daft but its much less a new replacement. If someone were selling a Starfire at more than 33% discount I may also be interested so it depends  on availability and what you  are selling

Using a car analogy many classic cars may sell for more than the original price, a smaller market, you may have to wait but if you find the right buyer  you could get a decent price

I don't think people would buy a Questar on a whim. If someone can afford and wants it they will buy, try high, you can always reduce the price

I'm not convinced  the 50%/66% idea works for premium or scarce products (Rolex are mass produced but they still hold or increase in value due to limited supply)

Edited by billhinge

8 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Is this a UK site?

It’s a U.K. based site but with members from around the world.

CloudyNights is more US centric so may give you some better answers in this particular case.

I would agree with comments that premium kit can bend the normal ‘60 to 70% of new’ price, particularly if rare or on a long lead time.

Hello @Fruitbat

That is a nice scope and I’m sure it will appeal to a Questar fan.

Personally I think you are expecting too much especially when compared to all the other high end options on the market.

For example a brand new TSA 120 is the same price.

Edited by dweller25

I think if there is the right buyer at the right time who wants exactly what you are selling and at the time you are selling it (i.e. doesn't want to wait) then you can do better than the norm on price but otherwise the difficulty is the better value for money buyers can get from getting something else on their hit list at more usual second hand rates or from waiting for another opportunity depending on how long the wait might be.

Edited by Paz

It's a rather special instrument because it isn't bought for its performance but for its charm and, I suspect because of its astonishing price rather than in spite of it. (So the question arises, does the Questar buyer actually want to pay less?) I always think of it as astro-jewellery so I suspect the market will be quite unlike the regular astronomy market.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
typo
  • Like 2

If you are not desperate to sell, it would seem to make sense to price it higher rather than lower - if you don't get any bites you can always lower the price. My recent experience of selling is that people are willing to pay alot for used scopes at the moment, but as Olly says, the Questar is in a fairly unique sector of the market.

17 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

It's a rather special instrument because it isn't bought for its performance but for its charm and, I suspect because of its astonishing price rather than in spite of it. (So the question arises, does the Questar buyer actually want to pay less?) I always think of it as astro-jewellery so I suspect the market will be quite unlike the regular astronomy market.

Olly

My thoughts exactly.  It's the Philippe Patek of telescopes but I suspect without the large fan base given astronomy is a niche hobby. Regards Andrew 

If the scope is outside of the EU, a EU based buyer will have to factor in import taxes and fees as well which are not insignificant.

If the potential seller is in the USA or Canada the "Cloudynights" forum might be a more fruitful place to advertise it, as has been suggested.

• Like 1

I would not disagree with any of the statements above. I think that @Fruitbat was testing the water to see for reactions, which he has had.

Personally, I would suggest they put it up for sale at the price they want for it, or think it will bring, but ensure the location is also on the listing an if somebody wants it they will enter into negotiation via PM.

As said if the OP only wants to sell to the US market then there are probably better sites but nothing to lose as we have many US members on SGL too.

Steve

• Like 1

Do your research on Cloudy Nights Questar section. Good place to ask questions abourt Questar.

https://www.cloudynights.com/forum/92-questar-forum/

The market for a Questar is pretty limited in the UK so not many around. Questars are much more popular in the US.

Edited by johninderby

I've had a couple of 3.5" Questars pass through my hands, they are indeed fine telescopes and at their launch provided a gulf in performance between them and similar apertures.  More than 50 years on, there are many modern telescopes that will deliver equal results and better for some purposes at much lower cost.  I have an excellent ETX90 that gives a Questar a good run for the money which set me back £200  but obviously doesn't have as good a fit and finish.  I also have a watch, a Russian tank Commanders model, no less, it said so on the box when I bought it in a transport cafe for £3, I didn't get a battery with it though.  It keeps as good time as far as I'm concerned as a Rolex.  So, if "bling" is your thing and you can afford it, get a Questar, Rolex or whatever.      🙂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

My opinion.. as this is an astronomy site and not an auction site, say the price you want for it.

If the price is too high people will move along. You then have the option to lower the asking price. 

That's quite correct. Also our classifieds rules require an asking price.

• Like 1

Its difficult to put a price on a classic telescope that costs over $5000 new - never mind the Brandon EPs and other accessories. I have only seen and used a Questar 3.5 scope once and that was in California close to the Lick Observatory. The view looking at a partial phase of Venus was truly excellent.

As others have stated SGL classifieds is not an auction site so a price should be put by the owner and should just see what happens.

This is the one I used for a brief period - very nice.

IMG_2806.jpg

• Like 1