Jump to content

Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

Takahashi on EQ5 mount?


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Luminated said:

Thinking of getting:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-fc-100-series-refractor-telescopes/takahashi-fc-100dc-f7-4-doublet-fluorite-apo-refractor.html

Can it be configured somehow  to work with an EQ5 mount?

(using for visual only)

Appreciate any advice!

 

Yes, of course it can, and simply by purchasing a pair of tube-rings and a dove-tail bar.  This is my own Takahashi refractor, an FS-102, and attached to an EQ3-class equatorial.  The rings and bar were made by Vixen.  It's a snug fit, but they work...

FS-102z4.jpg.a9e22413b9b43bc8a2ffd048ea8e113b.jpg

The outer diameter of the FC-100DC's optical-tube is 95mm.  A 200mm-long Vixen-type dovetail-bar should serve.  The rings are attached to the bar with stainless-steel machine-screws(or bolts).  These 101mm rings should fit, but if they're slightly too loose, you can remove the thin felt and replace it with that somewhat thicker, and self-adhesive...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tube-rings/skywatcher-telescope-tube-rings.html  

The rings are white, apparently, which would match the tube of the telescope; yes, quite.  Black rings would look nice, too.

You can also consider the Takahashi tube-cradle for it, if you haven't already.  It should be possible to attach it to a dovetail-bar...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-cradles/takahashi-tka21420-tube-cradle-for-fs-78sky-90fsq-85edx.html

I believe that that one will fit the FC-100DC, but you will need to confirm all of that with FLO.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-dovetail-bars.html (the 21cm)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got an FC100-DL (F/9) and it is very happy indeed on the Vixen GP which I think the EQ5 is cloned from. I've added a Vixen style DT bar to the Tak clamp:

 

takvixeq01.JPG

takvixeq03.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you both!

@JohnI had been thinking of the Takahashi cradle/vixen bar option but wasn’t sure about stability - looks rock solid from your pics tho! I guess no focus tremors etc?

@Alan64 do Vixen custom make these; how much for? Have already been drooling over the DZ... “budget” permitting, hence trying to find the most economic route via OTA etc..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Luminated said:

 

...I had been thinking of the Takahashi cradle/vixen bar option but wasn’t sure about stability - looks rock solid from your pics tho! I guess no focus tremors etc?

 

The scope is very stable on that mount. I often use it on the Skytee II or Giro Ercole alt-azimuth mounts which are also very steady mounts for the F/9 scope. The dovetail bar is bolted to the clamp using M8 bolts so very strong.

95mm tube rings are another alternative but that size is hard to come by. Primaluce make some:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tube-rings/primaluce-lab-95mm-plus-tube-rings-for-takahashi-fsq85-fs-78-fc-100df-and-fc-100dl.html

 

 

 

Edited by John
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Luminated said:

Thank you both!

@JohnI had been thinking of the Takahashi cradle/vixen bar option but wasn’t sure about stability - looks rock solid from your pics tho! I guess no focus tremors etc?

@Alan64 do Vixen custom make these; how much for? Have already been drooling over the DZ... “budget” permitting, hence trying to find the most economic route via OTA etc..

Vixen produces a 90mm pair, and a 115mm pair.  I have the latter for my refractor.  Vixen does not offer customisations; never have in fact. 

The Sky-Watcher rings would work as well, with slightly thicker felt.  You can use carpet-tape to secure non-adhesive felt within the rings...

felt4.jpg.06292e090376deb2ea269b0b057b191c.jpg

Before, and after...

felt5.jpg.d895986cd11651b3bb5510e0b39ef5b6.jpg

...and that for a 50mm f/12 achromat from 1969.  I used pipe-clamps of iron for that one.  I'm able to use it now, albeit a bit on the dim side, although I have seen one of the dimmer globular-clusters through it; and stars within its mass, with averted-vision.

My Takahashi is a porker, weighing in at about twice as much as the DC.  John's DL comes closer to weight of my own, but not quite.  Mine is about four pounds heavier than that.  The DZ likely weighs the same as the DL.

The finish of tube-rings, or a cradle, is a personal preference, as are the colours of same.  Those Vixen rings of my own originally came from a 102mm Vixen achromat...

1340211968_Vixen102mmf9.8.jpg.6612f96a8992459000dfda353390a178.jpg

I took one look through that achromat, then decided I didn't want an achromat for my definitive 4" refractor.  I returned it and got the FS-102 instead.  But I kept the Vixen rings and bar.  True the Vixen-green is not quite as lovely as the Takahashi-green...

...but they're just rings, and they work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 24/10/2020 at 12:16, John said:

I've got an FC100-DL (F/9) and it is very happy indeed on the Vixen GP which I think the EQ5 is cloned from. I've added a Vixen style DT bar to the Tak clamp:

 

takvixeq01.JPG

takvixeq03.JPG

Evening John- hoping you could let me the know the dovetail your using? Would the skywatcher ones work for instance?

Eg; there’s on offer this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_celestron-cg5-vixen-style-dovetail-bars_153906.html
 

Flo suggested this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-other-accessories/takahashi-tkp71423-dove-tail-male-for-mewlon-210.html

 but seems overpriced, so hoping to find a generic alternative - getting confused on which ones would be compatible with the Tak cradle/clamshell. Would be good also if I could temporarily attach to our ST80 for an upcoming Xmas holiday to darker skies...but that might be too optimistic 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/11/2020 at 22:38, Luminated said:

Evening John- hoping you could let me the know the dovetail your using? Would the skywatcher ones work for instance?

Eg; there’s on offer this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_celestron-cg5-vixen-style-dovetail-bars_153906.html
 

Flo suggested this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-other-accessories/takahashi-tkp71423-dove-tail-male-for-mewlon-210.html

 but seems overpriced, so hoping to find a generic alternative - getting confused on which ones would be compatible with the Tak cradle/clamshell. Would be good also if I could temporarily attach to our ST80 for an upcoming Xmas holiday to darker skies...but that might be too optimistic 

Thanks!

Really sorry that I missed your question.

I use an Altair 180mm dovetail bar:

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-tms---vixen-synta-dovetail-bar-clear-silver-182-p.asp

I'm sure that other brands will work as well. I use two M8 bolts to hold the bar in place using pre-threaded holes in the Takahashi tube clamp.

 

 

Edited by John
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Picking up an old thread here for the benefit of any Takahashi owners who are looking for some high quality replacement tube rings, and don’t want the red Primaluce offerings. I can thoroughly recommend the More Blue rings (and dovetail/finder shoe) which FLO now sells. Extremely well made and user friendly. The grey metal seems to suit most Tak scopes - even my banana coloured Epsilon looks smart, which is quite some feat. 

D3F36432-EB5A-4183-BF63-7E9220050E03.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.