Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

String of Pearls

went outside just before work at 6.15am this morning, looked up, clear sky to the north west and to my surprise spotted a satellite moving from the west to the east, a small gap then another and another and then more, all in I counted 24 strung out across the sky like a pearl necklace moving east!! I was gobsmacked but what a fantastic sight, well worth venturing out before work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dark knight said:

went outside just before work at 6.15am this morning, looked up, clear sky to the north west and to my surprise spotted a satellite moving from the west to the east, a small gap then another and another and then more, all in I counted 24 strung out across the sky like a pearl necklace moving east!! I was gobsmacked but what a fantastic sight, well worth venturing out before work.

I saw the same albeit last week in the morning as well albeit 5.30am UK time on my way to work.

1 hour ago, dark knight said:

I think it was Space X Star Link satellites

Probably.  SpaceX just launched 60 more on Sunday, so they have probably yet to attain their final orbits and are closely following each other for now.

It was looking at these regularly over the summer that inspired me to get a telescope, I'd spent a lot of time looking up and wondered what else there was to see.  The Starlink 'Skytrains' are quite fascinating to me, I saw a string of 7 in June or July.  The website "Heavens Above" is a good source of info for satellites, my sons and I used to look for Iridium Flares.