Narrowband

When will this cloud break???

pastiche

I feel your pain. I'm all collimated up and raring to go too - but according to Clear Outside, the 90-minute block of clear skies I had until about an hour ago just disappeared...

Edited by BrendanC

I have yet to find a weather forecast that gives an accurate prediction in astronomical terms (i.e. will there be insufficient cloud coverage for sufficiently long to make the hassle of setting up worth it). These days I just rely the cloud satellite images and my own eyeballs.

I’ve given up on Clear Outside. Just useless for my area as their forecasts bear no relation to the actual weather. At least the BBC is right about half the time. 🙄

Take last night. CO gave it as completely clear all night. Actually completely cloudy all night. 🤬

Been ages since the last clear night. 😢

Edited by johninderby

40 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’ve given up on Clear Outside. Just useless for my area as their forecasts bear no relation to the actual weather. At least the BBC is right about half the time. 🙄

Take last night. CO gave it as completely clear all night. Actually completely cloudy all night. 🤬

Been ages since the last clear night. 😢

Same here John, CO is very hit n miss, more miss recently. 

28 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Same here John, CO is very hit n miss, more miss recently. 

I use this website for a close view of the cloud cover Cloud Satellite Radar It works well while it is daylight - as it gets dark it is not very good at showing cloud cover. I do find the combination of recent cloud cover radar and forecast to be reasonably accurate though.

It's been a month since I last had a clear sky - I've got one now, but can already see the cloud on the western horizon which is going to cover me as it gets dark.

1 hour ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Maybe if we all agree not to buy any kit for the next month we might get some clear skies (sorry FLO). 

I'm so sorry Joe, I may have messed things up for everyone. I ordered a couple of colour filters this morning 🥺.

• Sad 1

Waited for Jupiter and Saturn to appear from behind the trees. Caught glimspes of them through the trees. Now of course the mist has moved in and even the moon is barely visable.  Oh bother or something like that. 🤬🤬🤬

Edited by johninderby

I put out my 12" Dob and viewed Jupiter, Saturn, Moon and then Mars. Every thing was like jelly. My main purchase for tonight was to try and observe the SN in NGC 514 but cloud has come over so I put ever thing away. The forecast for tomorrow is heavy rain and strong winds. Not worth taking the risk and leaving the scope out under cover.

If it clears in the next few hours I will have a session with the Apollo 15x70 binos.