Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone using a 10" RC with a mono cam and wheel?

I am starting to think about a significant increase in focal length from my current 530mm setup for imaging.

This 10" RC caught my eye but my question is quite specific....

My remote observatory is very small and I need to be sure that any new scope will fit inside it!

Is anyone using a 10" truss tube RC with a filter wheel, electronic focuser and fairly heavy camera???

I would appreciate knowing the overall length of such a setup from the back of the camera to the front of the scope and ideally where the centre of gravity lies so I know what the overhang is forward and aft though this is less important as I can add weight to move the CofG.

Specifically I will be hanging off the back of it a Lakeside electronic focuser, Atik EFW3 and an Atik 16200 - I will probably also use an off axis guider with a Lodestar but that doesn't weight much.

If anyone is using the exact scope I would also appreciate knowing the distance between the two red lines on the attached photo ie the total overall height.

Thanks in advance.

Capture.JPG

The nice people at FLO have sent me the measurements - it wont fit. Well that's not quite true - it will fit on the mount in the park position but will hit the walls when slewed !!

Will have to have a rethink on ways to achieve a long focal length.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Have you considered shifting  the center of gravity with some lead or exercise weights? I did this to allow my 12" Newtonian to fit in my obs before upgrading. 

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew - I have done this with my current scope (see attached photo) but the 10" RC is just to big in every way. Its a really small obsy. MkII obsy will be bigger!!

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

Do you really need a long focal length? Since pixels are getting so small you can hit the useful 0.9 (ish) arcseconds per pixel scale at a metre or even less. If you want to stick with larger pixels or bin 2x2 how about an 8 inch Edge?

Olly

45 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Do you really need a long focal length? Since pixels are getting so small you can hit the useful 0.9 (ish) arcseconds per pixel scale at a metre or even less. If you want to stick with larger pixels or bin 2x2 how about an 8 inch Edge?

Olly

Thanks for the suggestion Olly.

I do really want to stick with my existing camera (Atik 16200) for the moment.

I will have a look at the Edge but I think I will be shelving the idea for now.

All the best.

• Like 1