Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A quick observing session with the 16"

Sam

I dragged the 16" Lightbridge outside for a short observing session as the sky was so clear and still. The first target was M1 which jumped out of the field of view showing it's shape very clearly. It was light gray in colour with some thickening into strings evident around parts of the edge. This was the clearest I've seen M1 so the clear air between the weather fronts must have really improved things. I had a look through the 15mm eyepiece as well and that showed similar details to the 32mm - just bigger! Given how M1 can sometimes be quite tricky to find it was quite amazing how it was so clear and crisp. The next target for the evening was NGC 891 which is an edge on galaxy just to the left of the left most lower star of Andromeda. This galaxy was easily spotted as it dominates the FOV in the 32mm. It's very thin with just a slight bulge in the middle and the hint of a central dust lane through the disk. I think this galaxy would make a wonderful imaging target. I spent quite a bit of time having a browse around M42 as well, this time concentrating on the structure of the Nebula which looked very green. The central region around the Trapezium is lumpy green while further out it goes quite streaky like wings emanating from the area just in front of the trapezium. I had a look at M31 as well and could make out the dust lane quite easily.

Sam

Thanks Ian, it really stood out which was quite a surprise as last time it was quite dim.

Doc, I didn't really have a look at the trapezium (though the four stars were quite obvious) as I was trying to see how much of the nebula I could see - and it's huge! way bigger than the 32mm eyepiece FOV. :)

Sam

Archived