SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

OK got a Ha scope - what's next?

Mai Ai Bing

Got myself the all-in-one Lunt 50mm double stack (yes, I know many here see it as a compromise, but its enough Ha scope for me). However, if I could get another distinct wavelength solar viewing platform I would consider that. I of course looked at the Ca option, but I think its not adding enough to the Ha viewing - and "white" solar spots have no interest. Am I wrong about Ca viewing - and are there any other realistic options unless I climb Everest or fly into outer space?

12 hours ago, Stu said:

With a good setup, white light observing can be amazing, often plenty of granulation detail to be seen even with comparatively few spots visible.

Thanks. So a white/yellow cover for my 8" SCT would give "additional" views? Would I need specialized filters to get the best out of such a shield?

14 hours ago, laudropb said:

Ca-K filters are only used for imaging as far as I am aware.

Quite right. Most people can't see far enough into the UV for visual observation in Ca light. Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

It may be a bit "out there" but have you considered spectroscopy?  I believe there are kits available to amateurs now in affordable packages, I looked into it myself a while back but decided to spend my money on visual for now.  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/spectroscopy/shelyak-alpy-600-spectrograph.html

Younger eyes are able to see some detail with Ca-K,  but if you have a good HA scope and you’re only interested in visual, there’s no reason to invest in Ca-K. With the Sun’s activity growing again, your Lunt 50 DS will provide endlessly fascinating views, but if you’re looking for another dimension then Stu’s advice is spot on. High magnification white light can be very impressive, particularly with a wedge, good optics, and sympathetic seeing. 

Mai Ai Bing,

The Baader Solar film is very good, very safe and provides quality White Light observing.

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/solar-observation.html

Using a secondary "Continuum" filter at the eyepiece can improve contrast.

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/filters/contrast-enhancement/baader-solar-continuum-filter-(540nm).html