Narrowband

2022 Autumn Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

Hi everyone.

I have the pleasure of announcing the dates for:-

Scotland's Premier Autumn (November) Star Camp in 2022

The Star Camp will be held as usual at Drumroamin Camp Site.
Between the Monday the 21st
 and Friday the 25th November.

(The New Moon is on Tuesday the 23rd November )

Bookings are available from the 21st until the 28th November when discussed with the site owner at the time of booking !

This has been a particularly awkward one to set up as we have had to fit in with school holidays and other commitments of the site owners. To get the weekend in we have had to move to late November as October was just not feasible.

The New Moon in October would have been on Tuesday the 25th meaning that by the following weekend the moon would have been becoming too bright. I could not start the camp earlier than the Sunday the 23rd  as the site was booked. So people arriving on the Sunday would have had to setup in too much of a hurry, some obviously could not have travelled there only to leave the same day for work. Then the next weekend was too far away and moonrise in the afternoon causing problems.

So late November it is I am afraid !

As stated in earlier posts, I am continuing to base the Star Camp dates centred as closely as possible around the New Moon.
This is to encompass the best chance for the darkest possible nights for all concerned.

These dates still and will always contain a weekend so hopefully most can attend if at work during the week days.
I also will do my best to have the included weekend at the end of the star camps, in the hope that we can reinstate the Pie and Peas on the Saturday night when the New Moon is brightening up.

General Moon Information for Attendees:

image.png.7911f22612cbc4957e78efa7cf84e4fe.png  

Once again the important detail here is the time that the Moon sets and rises.

In the Autumn of in 2022 and the moon sets in the evening and rises in the morning. This means that observers and imagers are still able to view/image some days before and after the New Moon without moonlight pollution affecting them.

An important Note to all.

In the past we have been very lucky to be hosted by Lesley and Ralph Shell who genuinely wants to see our one and only Premier Scottish Star Camps succeed and they have gone out of their way many times to accommodate us and our needs.

Unfortunately, some attendees have been leaving earlier than their nights originally booked.

The owners cannot afford to bear the costs of these late cancellations in future, as Covid-19 has already severely affected  their profit margins.
As such, Lesley has reluctantly decided that in future ALL NIGHTS BOOKED must be paid for.

(Unless there are weather related reasons i.e. likelihood of damage to tents and life due to severe weather).
This will remain her decision at all times.

These cancellations have also affected the availability of places for those on the backup/waiting list as it precludes their attendance at such a late date.

As always those wishing to attend a day or so early and/or stay longer can request this with Lesley at the time of booking!
(This depends upon availability due to other reservations by the general public.)

Best wishes
Derek

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

Please Read below carefully and note this is no fun for me to have to post this.

This affects everyone wishing to attend future Scottish Star Party Events

Unfortunately during the Scottish Autumn Star Camp 2021, once again there have been a few " No Shows"

Thoughtless actions such as this with no warning has caused a few furrowed brows as our hosts have lost revenue.

These "No Warning and No Shows" prevent the pitches being realocated in time to those waiting on the "Standby List".

It costs very little to use the telephone and at least inform our hosts when not being able to attend the Star Camp, for any reason.

This is not the first time and it has now happened so frequently over the last few years that :

The owners Lesle yand Ralph, have decided that from now on there will be an up front £25 deposit payable for your pitch to be reserved.

Anyone who reserves a pitch, can cancel up to 30 days before the start of the reservation.

Cancellation within 30 days of the start of the Star Party the deposit is non refundable.

This decission has not been taken lightly and is unfortunately a last resort measure,

short of completely stopping all future Star Party events with exclusive access to SGL members.

So please think of others, if you cannot attend for any reason telephone or email Lesley to let her know as soon as possible.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 2

I'm getting a new tent and new airbeds in the new year so if there room. 

Now can someone give me any ideas for keeping warm I have these thin thermal rolls for under the airbeds and was thinking of putting a wool of fleece blanket on top with our sleeping bags and two heaters going should that be enough, thanks for the help. 

13 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Now can someone give me any ideas for keeping warm I have these thin thermal rolls for under the airbeds and was thinking of putting a wool of fleece blanket on top with our sleeping bags and two heaters going should that be enough, thanks for the help. 

Have a look at alpkit's info, lovely people to deal with , good kit at reasonable prices, a 3 year guarantee, and an informative website .

https://alpkit.com/blogs/spotlight/choosing-a-sleeping-mat

For car based camping I highly recommend their 'dozer' mat https://alpkit.com/products/dozer#product-content which has a nice , non slippery face material so you don't slide off it in the middle of the night if your sleeping bag is shiny outer material. One of those, with a reflective foil mat under it has kept me nice and warm camping in snow .  I use a cheap picnic blanket as an extra tent bedroom carpet too , for additional insulation of the rest of the 'room' .

Heather

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Have a look at alpkit's info, lovely people to deal with , good kit at reasonable prices, a 3 year guarantee, and an informative website .

https://alpkit.com/blogs/spotlight/choosing-a-sleeping-mat

For car based camping I highly recommend their 'dozer' mat https://alpkit.com/products/dozer#product-content which has a nice , non slippery face material so you don't slide off it in the middle of the night if your sleeping bag is shiny outer material. One of those, with a reflective foil mat under it has kept me nice and warm camping in snow .  I use a cheap picnic blanket as an extra tent bedroom carpet too , for additional insulation of the rest of the 'room' .

Heather

Thank you Heather never thought of inflatable mats had the feeling they would hold the cold like the airbeds. 

I have a really bad back had epidural 4 weeks ago so I would prefer the double height airbeds for comfort. 

Paul 

• Like 1

Wookie- I camped out near Thirlmere in the Lake District last week in October- the weather was dreadful torrential rain, flooding and stormy winds- I use a military artic sleeping bag and found a couple of blankets on top of that kept me toasty- Weather at the end of the autumn star camp was was a bit mental . I was glad we were in a static and felt terribly for the guys in tents on the site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacobingonzo said:

I was glad we were in a static and felt terribly for the guys in tents on the site.

Me and Ian were fine in the vango omega 350 tents. Brilliant tent for rain and windy conditions although not good for the back as they are low so no good to wookie (paul)

Mine was second had when I bought it and had it 9 years. It only leaked once last year and seam sealer sorted that. 

Highly recommend it 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacobingonzo said:

Wookie- I camped out near Thirlmere in the Lake District last week in October- the weather was dreadful torrential rain, flooding and stormy winds- I use a military artic sleeping bag and found a couple of blankets on top of that kept me toasty- Weather at the end of the autumn star camp was was a bit mental . I was glad we were in a static and felt terribly for the guys in tents on the site.

The weather was nothing to what we have had in the past. This is the reason I keep on banging on about taking proper wet weather gear and a heavy duty tent and proper ground anchors!

Plenty of tents last seen dissapearing into the far reaches........ 😟

There are usually people around willing to help in bad weather. BUT YOU NEED to be PREPARED!!!!!!!!!

It is not just you it is also your astro gear that needs protection. I have had two telescope covers that leaked all over my electronics on the scopes. Now I use double covers !!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

No, I did last year, about 3 grand (they just hold it on your credit card but don’t take it) but, bizarrely, not this year

I would of thought that they would perhaps its because you have hired from them before thank you, I may have a alternative renting a caravan off site then visiting everyone and if we get a clear night bring my kit and view with you all. 

23 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Our camping was revolutionized once we realised that airbeds are the work of satan! They transmit the cold and unless you have a very expensive one, are pretty uncomfortable with anyone with a sore back.

We now use a thick 'mattress topper' laid over foil-backed picnic blankets. The matress does take up some room though, even when rolled up. That plus a thick duvet and proper pillows (and thermals)

As next year avoids my daughter's birthday at he beginning of the month, I'll hopefully be coming. I'll bring my campervan, though.

4 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Doesn’t keep the spiders out though! 😀

All tent dwellers at the Autumn GSP were farming spiders for the duration of their stay, other than Dai, who fumigated his tent. Don’t think it helped 🙄

• Haha 1