Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2022 Spring Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

On 01/03/2022 at 10:59, mapstar said:

Plugged in my power tank for the dewheaters and nothing 🤬.

First I thought I must've left the meters on and drained it at home. After a lot of faffing about  I found it was the two way rocker switch (charge/dew output) that had failed. Managed a quick soldering job and the visual observing could commence. Lost another hour 😪 

Cheap components, shame on an electrical  engineer 😉

• Haha 2

On 02/03/2022 at 11:43, Physopto said:

Cheap components, shame on an electrical  engineer 😉

Just to add to the list of shame, a retired chief marine engineer using cheap cables for mount connections oh dear 🙄

• Haha 2

Humpf!!

As one "not to named still learning very old school so called electrical engineer", who is too tight to even buy decent switches gets things wrong 😈 then wonders why his gear is not functioning ..... just said  "Very strange for a Lindy cable to fail".

🤣

But on a more upbeat note weather set to be decent tonight and even better tomorrow.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Physopto said:

As one "not to named still learning very old school so called electrical engineer", who is too tight to even buy decent switches gets things wrong 😈 then wonders why his gear is not functioning ..... just said  "Very strange for a Lindy cable to fail".

🤣

"After only being used twice in 3 years" was the rest of the sentence. Switch failures after several hundred operations are to be expected 😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mapstar said:

"After only being used twice in 3 years" was the rest of the sentence. Switch failures after several hundred operations are to be expected 😜

Nooooooooo.......More like certain twerps walking all over the wires in hobnail clogs.🤬

• Haha 1

Well not too bad a night. That is appart from Win10 deciding to update even after I stopped it for 28 days !!!

That caused all sorts of problems, including the computer refusing to boot for over 2 hours. Then just to comound it, it corrupted my mount computers positioning for polar alignment.

Eventually I started getting some subs of the Rosette.

Others were struggling with learning Sharcap and broken Telrads. One (not to be named) accidentally dropped his finder scope and broke the end off!

AHH, the joys of astronomy !

Well, still tomorrow night to see what fun can be had 😈

• Like 2

On 05/03/2022 at 02:33, Physopto said:

Well not too bad a night. That is appart from Win10 deciding to update even after I stopped it for 28 days !!!

That caused all sorts of problems, including the computer refusing to boot for over 2 hours. Then just to comound it, it corrupted my mount computers positioning for polar alignment.

Eventually I started getting some subs of the Rosette.

Others were struggling with learning Sharcap and broken Telrads. One (not to be named) accidentally dropped his finder scope and broke the end off!

AHH, the joys of astronomy !

Well, still tomorrow night to see what fun can be had 😈

Where are all the pictures, not seen much of the camp and attendees :(

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wackyscot said:

Where are all the pictures, not seen much of the camp and attendees :(

Many have departed today and just 4 left on site for what looks to be a cracking night from midnight according to the BBC. 

Kenny caught a slight bit of aurora last night so should get those posted later. 4 clear night with the 5th to add tonight has been superb.

A few shots were taken of the site yesterday so hopefully they will get posted.

• Like 3

As Damian has said been a really good Star Camp with so very clear nights.  Obviously very tiring for some of us as can be seen below.  DOB Mob needing a rest!

IMG_20220306_154431.jpg

IMG_20220305_150624.jpg

IMG_20220305_150616.jpg

IMG_20220308_151302.jpg

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Back home after yet another great GSP. Great to meet new and old attendees. Thanks to Leslie and Ralph for keeping a brilliant site and being so welcoming.

Hope people still there have good viewing conditions tonight. I sure Kenny won’t see much after the result today😄

Roll on the Autumn GSP

• Like 5

4 hours ago, mapstar said:

Many have departed today and just 4 left on site for what looks to be a cracking night from midnight according to the BBC. 

Kenny caught a slight bit of aurora last night so should get those posted later. 4 clear night with the 5th to add tonight has been superb.

A few shots were taken of the site yesterday so hopefully they will get posted.

Glad you guys got some great skies, hopefully see you later in the year :)

• Like 3

Left site at 10.45 this morning dropping Ian off at dumfries on the way. Quick stop off at Cafe sixty six now with just 100miles left to travel 

20220307_132759.thumb.jpg.f0bbe5998c1632c80d86f54826c6175c.jpg

Coffee and chocolate cake 😋. Should see me home.

Last night  was pretty much the same as the other clear nights 

Thanks to all for another enjoyable star camp. Amazing how quickly a week passes.

Already looking forward to the Autumn bash. 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 6