Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2022 Spring Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

Hi everyone.

I have the pleasure of announcing the dates for:-

Scotland's Premier Spring (March) Star Camp in 2022

The Star Camp will be held as usual at Drumroamin Camp Site.

Between the Monday the 28thFebruary and Friday the 4th March.

(The New Moon is on Wednesday the 2nd March )

(Bookings will be available for the night of the 28th up to the 6th and leaving on the 7th.)

As stated in earlier posts, I am continuing to base the Star Camp dates centred as closely as possible around the New Moon.

This is to encompass the best chance for the darkest possible nights for all concerned.

These dates still and will always contain a weekend so hopefully most can attend if at work during the week days.

I also will do my best to have the included weekend at the end of the star camps, in the hope that we can reinstate the Pie and Peas on the Saturday night when the New Moon is brightening up.

General Moon Information for Attendees:- 

Moon Phases for March 2022  in Kirkinner, Newton Stewart DG8 9AW, UK.

New Moon 05.36 PM March 2022 for Kirkinner

image.png.a3bf694fd44763e7757e28714c8c566c.png

Once again the important detail here is the time that the Moon sets and rises.

In the Spring of in 2022 and the moon sets in the evening and rises in the morning. This means that observers and imagers are still able to view/image some days before and after the New Moon without moonlight pollution affecting them.

An important Note to all.

In the past we have been very lucky to be hosted by Lesley and Ralph Shell who genuinely wants to see our one and only Premier Scottish Star Camps succeed and they have gone out of their way many times to accommodate us and our needs.

Unfortunately, some attendees have been leaving earlier than their nights originally booked.

The owners cannot afford to bear the costs of these late cancellations in future, as Covid-19 has already severely affected  their profit margins.

As such, Lesley has reluctantly decided that in future ALL NIGHTS BOOKED must be paid for.

(Unless there are weather related reasons i.e. likelihood of damage to tents and life due to severe weather).

This will remain her decision at all times.

These cancellations have also affected the availability of places for those on the backup/waiting list as it precludes their attendance at such a late date.

As always those wishing to attend a day or so early and/or stay longer can request this with Lesley at the time of booking!

(This depends upon availability due to other reservations by the general public.)

Best wishes

Derek

Edited by Physopto

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Please Read below carefully and note this is no fun for me to have to post this.

This affects everyone wishing to attend future Scottish Star Party Events

Unfortunately during the Scottish Autumn Star Camp 2021, once again there have been a few " No Shows"

Thoughtless actions such as this with no warning has caused a few furrowed brows as our hosts have lost revenue.

These "No Warning and No Shows" prevent the pitches being realocated in time to those waiting on the "Standby List".

It costs very little to use the telephone and at least inform our hosts when not being able to attend the Star Camp, for any reason.

This is not the first time and it has now happened so frequently over the last few years that :

The owners Lesle yand Ralph, have decided that from now on there will be an up front £25 deposit payable for your pitch to be reserved.

Anyone who reserves a pitch, can cancel up to 30 days before the start of the reservation.

Cancellation within 30 days of the start of the Star Party the deposit is non refundable.

This decission has not been taken lightly and is unfortunately a last resort measure,

short of completely stopping all future Star Party events with exclusive access to SGL members.

So please think of others, if you cannot attend for any reason telephone or email Lesley to let her know as soon as possible.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 22/01/2022 at 08:55, jamie56 said:

Hi all happy new year to you and hope to see all the usual squad soon, and some new faces hopefully.  

How's that new caravan doing Dr Brown, got all the  nigglies sorted out yet? 

Hi Jim and Dawn and everyone else who is hoping to attend our 2022 Spring Star Camp.

Happy New Year you all. 

Yes most of the problems are sorted out I hope.

As of yet I have not spoken to Lesley about the Star Camp as I think it is a wee bit too soon.

I am still awaiting the outcome of the latest Covid-19 restrictions being lifted in Bonny Scotland.

To be honest I hope all will be well and we can go ahead with a happy camp.

I will post an update shortly.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 2

Just a short note !

I am expecting, (fingers crossed), that all will be well for the Star Camp to go ahead starting the 28th February.

I cannot talk to Lesley at present as she is not available until next week.

So I will update everyone ASAP sometime after I can contact her and have a chat.

Cheers,

• Like 4

On 23/01/2022 at 22:29, mapstar said:

Happy new year Jim. Hope you and Dawn had a good one. Looking forward to next month 😉

Will we get to see the new mobile accommodation? If so, does that mean we will be have steaks cooked on the built in flame grill?

• Haha 1

Good News for now anyway.

I have just had a chance to talk to Lesley at the camp site and discuss what is happening there.

She and Ralph are in the throws of a complete revamp of the "on site facilities" at present.

i.e. the ablutions blocks are being completely redone.

She is pretty confident it will all be finished for the start of the Star Camp. 🤞

So the Scottish Star Camp is 99% sure to go ahead as planned.

Starting the 28th this month but by "prior arrangement with Lesley" can carry on over the weekend ( 5th and 6th March ).

I had to start it on the Monday 28th February to centralize the New Moon.

( I think the work may go on until the last moment )

For any who have NOT as yet booked a pitch, there are a few left so get in soon!!!

Hope to see you all there 😀

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 2

Excellent news Derek, glad to hear all is going to plan. I really can’t believe how quickly it has come around. Better start getting stuff together.

Do you know if there are many pitches left?

Thanks again for the update.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Hope you guys enjoy. Decided to give it a miss and instead hired a caravan for end of march down on the Galloway south coast. Worked out far cheaper than hiring a campervan.

Couldn’t bear to tent it 😮

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

Do you know if there are many pitches left?

After talking to Lesley, I believe that there maybe around 10 or so pitches left at present.

We quite often have less attendees at the Spring Star Camp, unlike the Autumn one,

but the Pandemic/Scottish uncertainty has I think also affected this number recently.

We are still restricted to a maximum of 25 pitches though.

The loss of the 2 statics also restricts some of our members attending!

Spoke to him yesterday evening, he is not going to be able to make it. Said he couldn’t remember whether he actually booked or not🙄. Told him to phone Leslie ASAP, to confirm he wouldn’t be attending. Will remind him again as I am playing golf with him on Sunday😂

• Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 17:45, Uplooker said:

Spoke to him yesterday evening, he is not going to be able to make it. Said he couldn’t remember whether he actually booked or not🙄. Told him to phone Leslie ASAP, to confirm he wouldn’t be attending. Will remind him again as I am playing golf with him on Sunday😂

Revelations !!

You play Golf ...............................😱

Sorry to hear Kenny won't be there. Give him my best wishes please.

9 hours ago, Physopto said:

Revelations !!

You play Golf ...............................😱

Sorry to hear Kenny won't be there. Give him my best wishes please.

😂😂. Until 2 weeks ago, I had not played in over 20yrs 😮. I have played from the age of 10, only had to walk 200yrds to links course, if you know what that is, and had the choice of half a dozen courses- some of which are Championship standard. Admittedly they had eye watering green fees. If you had to pay over £300 for a round, you might be slightly miffed if you had a duff round😮

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Uplooker said:

😂😂. Until 2 weeks ago, I had not played in over 20yrs 😮. I have played from the age of 10, only had to walk 200yrds to links course, if you know what that is, and had the choice of half a dozen courses- some of which are Championship standard. Admittedly they had eye watering green fees. If you had to pay over £300 for a round, you might be slightly miffed if you had a duff round😮

Amazing to consider Golf has gone from something any one could play as a newly invented pastime for the poor in its initial phases; to a playground for the very rich on some Golf Courses these days !

Last I heard was that the Leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-un played his first game ever a short while ago.

Apparently he got 18 holes in one........ Something the so called Professionals would be proud of...................Amazing  🤣

Edited by Physopto
  • Haha 3