Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

orion25

Olympus Mons

A night of great seeing resulted in one of my best overall images of Mars and my first-ever image of Olympus Mons! The south polar cap, though small, was becoming more prominent, and a number of dark albedo features were on display:

1776121087_ASTRONOMY-MARSOLYMPUSMONS(ZWO)10-19-20.jpg.1ee1662c0aaf6de09e58134ec99560eb.jpg

Equipment: Orion SkyView Pro 180mm Mak-Cass, ZWO ASI 224MC, Celestron 2x barlow
Post-Processing: Registax 6, Photoshop

I was quite pleased and pleasantly surprised to capture Mons which I wasn't sure was possible without more aperture.

Regards,

Reggie :) 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Reggie. Excellent result mate! :) 👍🏻

• Like 1

Very nice, this was the  profile I was observing last night, the dark mottled features in the southern hemisphere such as Solis Lacus were prominent and as your image conveys the bright pimple of the south polar cap. Lovely to see the capture of Olympus Mons.

• Like 1

Identification of some more features I was able to image, including Solis Lacus, "the eye of Mars":

1441178189_ASTRONOMY-MARSBIGMAKBARLOW(ZWO)10-19-20CAPTIONS.jpg.b5334ab52bde4551d909730bdb5bde25.jpg

Edited by orion25
  • Like 2

On 21/10/2020 at 06:15, scarp15 said:

Very nice, this was the  profile I was observing last night, the dark mottled features in the southern hemisphere such as Solis Lacus were prominent and as your image conveys the bright pimple of the south polar cap. Lovely to see the capture of Olympus Mons.

Thanks, Iain :)

• Like 1

On 21/10/2020 at 03:02, Knighty2112 said:

Nice work Reggie. Excellent result mate! :) 👍🏻

Thanks, Gus :)

• Like 1