Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can i plug my HEQ5 pro directly into my car?

Hi there :)

Im a bit confused on whether or not i can plug my mount straight into the 12V cigarette lighter in my car. I use a Skywatcher HEQ5 pro. I need to travel away from home to observe an ISS lunar transit so i won't be able to use the mains powersupply that i normally use. Im thinking i could use the 12V plug that is supplied with the mount for this.

Is it safe to do this? I don't want to try it in fear of damaging my mount. 

Hope you can help me out :)

be careful to unplug before starting or stopping the engine. Some cars can give a spike which might cause the mount problems. Worth making sure the alternator is working properly too in case its pushing out higher voltage which would indicate the regulator is failing/ed. Depending on how long you plan on having the mount etc running a couple amps over an hour or so shouldn't cause much in the way of issues with the engine turned off if the battery is in good health, tho in colder temps the battery won't be as efficient so worth bearing that in mind.

Also worth checking if the lighter socket is live with the ignition off, on mine you'd have to have the ignition on so engine running would be the only way I could do this if I needed to.

Edited by DaveL59

55 minutes ago, _steffastrostuff_ said:

Hi there :)

Im a bit confused on whether or not i can plug my mount straight into the 12V cigarette lighter in my car. I use a Skywatcher HEQ5 pro. I need to travel away from home to observe an ISS lunar transit so i won't be able to use the mains powersupply that i normally use. Im thinking i could use the 12V plug that is supplied with the mount for this.

Is it safe to do this? I don't want to try it in fear of damaging my mount. 

Hope you can help me out :)

Why not a power pack?https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0713T4XT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Just don't run the car while it's powering the scope. It's totally safe if your cable and all connectors are of a good weather and abuse resistant breed. To amend the overdrain always keep in the car a well charged jumpstart battery. Another option would be to get a low voltage battery shut off controller.

Finally, check also this discussion: 

Diesel or petrol?  I had a bad experience in a diesel car once, the battery drained on us so were unable to use the full beam headlights, had to drive home on sidelights (we bump-started the car to get going).  This was an older car which may have had inefficient parts, but draining the battery through use of the headlights without the engine running was the cause of our problems and I dont think even today full headlights can be run purely from an alternator (or today's equivalent).  Moral of the story is don't use your car for something which it wasn't designed.

I'd always advise on a dedicated power supply, ideally a leisure battery; they may seem pricey but cheaper than a breakdown callout.