Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barnard 150 with the RASA and Esprit 150

gorann

At the end of September I caught this dark nebulosity between Cepheus and Cygnus. It is Barnard 150 and next to it is the Fireworks galaxy NGC6946. The ASI2600MC was set at gain 100 (offset 30) and kept at -15°C. 19 x 10 min, so 3.2 hours.

Four nights ago I aimed at Barnard 150 with my double rig with the Esprit 150 (with ASI6200MM for Lum) and Esprit 100 (ASI071MC for RGB). Collected 6 hours of Lum and 4.5 hours of RGB. The RGB data from the Esprit 100 was quite anemic and nowhere near as colourful as what I had caught with the RASA, obviously a result of f/5 vs f/2. So instead of making an all Esprit image, I decided to add the lum to my RASA imade.

And here it is with added Esprtit 150 lum (about 50%) to the nebula. It did improve it significantly. Like Olly @ollypenrice I see nothing wrong with mixing focal lengths to improve the resolution of key parts of an image - I am mainly into this hobby to produce as pretty images as I can with the gear I have.

Here is the post with the original RASA image:

20200919-20 NGC6946 RASA PS36smallSign.jpg

• Like 22

Oh Göran, please stop doing this! :rolleyes:. Yet another lovely image you've produced there, it's frustrating to know that I'll never get anything that good!

Seriously though, they are a joy to behold. There's something about images which reveal dark nebulæ in all their glory.

Ian

25 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Oh Göran, please stop doing this! :rolleyes:. Yet another lovely image you've produced there, it's frustrating to know that I'll never get anything that good!

Seriously though, they are a joy to behold. There's something about images which reveal dark nebulæ in all their glory.

Ian

Thanks a lot again Ian! Yes, with enough photons collected most of these "dark" nebulae turn out not to be dark at all but quite colourful. I think I am getting addicted to imaging them - so soon I may be into severe abstinence since clouds have settled here for a foreseeable future😣.

• Like 1

Great result, the hybrid is undoubtedly better but I would be very pleased to get the OSC image.

Oh, so you do get clouds in your part of the world, with your recent rate of output I was beginning to wonder...😉

25 minutes ago, tomato said:

Great result, the hybrid is undoubtedly better but I would be very pleased to get the OSC image.

Oh, so you do get clouds in your part of the world, with your recent rate of output I was beginning to wonder...😉

Thanks Steve! Unfortunately, we get clouds too, usually exported from the UK, so I may finallly get some full nights of sleep🥱. But hopefully not for too long. Next time it clears the moon will probably be up so it is NB time - an IDAS NBX dual band filter arrived from FLO today. Would love to try it on the RASA and ASI2600 combo.

12 minutes ago, tomato said:

Great, an Optolong L eXtreme dual band is on my shopping list for the RASA and QHY268c, you never know I might get to use them someday...

Why the Optolong and not the IDAS - are they about the same or did I not do enough research?

18 hours ago, gorann said:

I think I am getting addicted to imaging them - so soon I may be into severe abstinence since clouds have settled here for a foreseeable future😣.

You must be working on an all sky dark nebula panorama, I guess.

great image. Again. 😉

46 minutes ago, wimvb said:

You must be working on an all sky dark nebula panorama, I guess.

great image. Again. 😉

Thanks Wim! Yes, that is the risk with wide-field imaging, you may find one night that you have done the whole sky😱

28 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks Wim! Yes, that is the risk with wide-field imaging, you may find one night that you have done the whole sky😱

Well, you allways have your connections ”down under”, and a dark site on Lizzard island.

6 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Well, you allways have your connections ”down under”, and a dark site on Lizzard island.

The plan was to go to Lizard Island in December (I have even invested in a travel scope), but that is not going to happen now. Maybe next year......

17 hours ago, gorann said:

Why the Optolong and not the IDAS - are they about the same or did I not do enough research?

A bit off topic but I guess you are going with the IDAS as the slightly wider bandpass is better suited to the F2 optics of the RASA? They are the same price so I should choose the one which is optimum for the scope.

11 minutes ago, tomato said:

A bit off topic but I guess you are going with the IDAS as the slightly wider bandpass is better suited to the F2 optics of the RASA? They are the same price so I should choose the one which is optimum for the scope.

Now when you remind me, a broader bandpass was actually what I was thinking two weeks ago when I ordered it. It arrived yesterday so something is really slowing down packages from the UK - guess it is related to that virus somehow (even more out of topic😁 ).