Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

newtonian reflector binoculars??

DaveL59

Or you could go to Eagle Bait and buy a 280x50, “day/night,” plastic-based, auto-focusing, “military/ZOOM,” “night-vision” binoculars ... with ruby coatings.
Bill

• Haha 1

Prism type: BaK4

Optical system: Porro prism

For £10 it’s almost worth buying some and seeing where Mr Newton’s mirrors are... guessing it’s just marketing BS and they’re overpowered Porro bins. 
30x gives good views, but really needs a bit more aperture and a good tripod to keep the view steady!

PEter

Many people have noted their existence and their light weight as they “don’t have prisms”, but collimation maybe hard to achieve. None seems to have seen what’s inside or made any detailed reviews other than “not impressed”.

PEter

8 minutes ago, WJC said:

The only possible reason for this binocular having prism housings—although there are NO prisms—is to cheat the humble and trusting consumer and the cranially challenged!1746227841_DSCF3463copy2.JPG.acde6ea80af6a8cfd50853af6cb84e71.JPG

haha yes I've seen those come up the the bay a few times, gallean in a pseudo-porro body, they never seem to sell those ones.

This just goes to show that the marketing department is just as stupid and crooked as anyone else in the company. Is it a Newtonian or a Porro prism unit. Not to worry; they're clueless as to the difference. Of course, it's not about optics; it's about pushing the boxes out to the trusting or cranially challenged masses.

Edited by WJC

I published the following on Cloudy Nights in January 2007:

>>>Not "Newtonian" in the accepted sense of the word (they have objective lenses).<<<

Stephen is always the gentleman. I would love to be, but just about every day, I have to try to unscrew the ideas of someone who has had his or her mind made up about something relating to binoculars, but in no way relating to reality.

As far as the "Newtonian" binocular, I offer the following. It was taken from a rather large rant I sent off to a largely uncaring group of binocular merchants about 5 years ago.

The bottom line? No matter what name you slap on the side, millions of people will believe that a binocular company of the same name actually exists and that everything we see in print must be true. Have fun.

Bill

Story #3: The Ads

To further (and finally) illustrate just how in tune and caring some optical distributors are, I would like to quote a few of MANY screw-ups I picked out of one national catalog:

1) “Large 50mm objective lens gathers 87% of incoming light.”

No! It may transmit only 87%, but it gathers 100%. Yes, I know what they meant. BUT, there was not one word said about coatings because THEY apparently didn’t know what they meant.

2) A particular telescope, which was a folded REFRACTOR, was advertised as:

“An innovative Newtonian-style reflecting lens…”

3) They also have a 7x50 Ruby coated binocular that has: “Large 50mm PRECISION objectives gather light effectively, for bright hassle-free viewing.”

Does that mean some sizes create a hassle!? Pity, really!

4) The same bino has a right eye adjustment that “can correct for any eye combination.”

I guess that means if you have 3 eyes you are still set. That ad concludes by saying the “optical components are precision and fully coated.”

I probably shouldn’t be too critical. I once had a telescope that was coated with . . . “precision.”

5) Another ad read, “Mirrored Optics Provide Faster Light Transition”

Of course, they were looking for “light transmission.” However, that is not the point. Light can travel the distance around the earth 7.45 times in ONE SECOND. So how much quicker is light going to travel through a 6-inch binocular because of mirrored optics!? It is pretty obvious that the people who write ads like these haven’t a clue what they are talking about. Still, what does their publication say about the manufacturers who supposedly proofed the ad copy!?

Oh, and this is just the tip of the iceberg; I could write head-shaking volumes. And, there is really no need to pick on these poor people. There are other catalogs that are even worse.

Of course, we can expect this from the purveyors of junk. However, this “who cares / who knows” mentality is running rampant and is poised to strangle every honest, caring and knowledgeable optics merchant and technician.

Yesterday, a representative of one of these giants was visiting my store and was honest enough to verify what I already knew: “You’re right, its all manufacturer driven; I can’t deny that. The guys at the top want more and more of the market share and that means pushing boxes out of the plant. That’s all it comes down to – boxes, not optics.”

hehe your post makes me almost tempted to bid v low just to take them apart and see what's inside Bill. I won't tho as being plastic body if it is indeed mirrors then getting them realigned will be doomed to fail I expect. Likely they will be glued in situ so even getting them back out would risk breakage so not worth the effort, esp as I can't really throw cash at something I can't see being worth salvage while I'm not earning.