Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Neighbours security lights

Soloula

12 minutes ago, Nicola Hannah Butterfield said:

If they are L.E.D. lights not likely to be very much, something like that might only use 80W's or less.

Yeah there's a certain down-side to these new LED units in that regard, probably part of the reason they sprout like shrooms on buildings everywhere. Worst part will be as they fail, they have a tendency to flash like a strobe which isn't pleasant.

Not had a chance to talk to the neighbour on theirs but if I get no consideration I have a possible option since it is a motion activated one - aim an IR flood at the PIR and blind it 😉 

3 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Yeah there's a certain down-side to these new LED units in that regard, probably part of the reason they sprout like shrooms on buildings everywhere. Worst part will be as they fail, they have a tendency to flash like a strobe which isn't pleasant.

Not had a chance to talk to the neighbour on theirs but if I get no consideration I have a possible option since it is a motion activated one - aim an IR flood at the PIR and blind it 😉 

Does that work? It has occurred to me as a means to trick a neighbour’s solar powered lights into thinking it was daytime. Also are there any environmental issues with flooding the place with IR light? 

5 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Does that work? It has occurred to me as a means to trick a neighbour’s solar powered lights into thinking it was daytime. Also are there any environmental issues with flooding the place with IR light? 

unsure if it'd be effective but it may well do, depending on the IR freq of the flood. Some are 850 and others 950 for cctv use. I'll update if I do need to go this route, I can spare off one to experiment if I need to. I doubt that'd work for solar lights tho as they use an LDR to sense light level.

As to flooding with IR, I already do for the CCTV night vision, only issue perhaps is attracting insects but then maybe that's why the bat visits the area nightly for a snack 🙂 

7 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Tell me about those that fail, We have one lighting the steps down from the main road at the front, one on the side door, one facing the steps into the rear garden (though this is actually turned off 99% of the time), I then have two solar charged ones facing into the garden one on each shed, again these are turned off 99% only being used to pack up of a might on occasions, usually just use a torch, there is also a bulk head light on the top shed only on if needed, but because of where the switch is, I have a habit of leaving it on till I see it shining in the bathroom window when I go upstairs, also a further light at the bottom shed to aid visibility, as this is the darkest part of the garden, not that anything is really dark, and whilst I have an issue with next door re her bathroom window (there is a youngster living there so maybe a reason) and she is happy to turn it off if I ask, it is nothing with what the OP has to contend with, the children's letter published in the local press seems a good idea, also the environmental issue another possible route.

Another annoying one is who can turn on their Xmas lights first in the year, all ready got two on near here.

I have the lights for a reason, the lady I care for share the house with has several health issues, including severe mobility issues.

DSC_3547.thumb.jpg.77bc0b9a11b775154e4620133e3d4c1e.jpg

That is the neighbours earlier this year (2020) I have moved the scope down the garden where it is shielded from most, but the bathroom, however I might have a plan.

• 3 weeks later...

managed to have a chat with the dad from next door, he's happy to angle the sensor and light away from my garden. I suggested when it's better weather as they've other priorities to get the place finished for moving in and no rush from my side. Lets face it I ain't exactly out trying to observe with the current weather! Hopefully a good result and a happy neighbour 🙂 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 18/10/2020 at 23:20, Soloula said:

Hi first post so hope this is in the right board.... My neighbour has just had four big spotlight dusk till dawn lights installed in the eaves of his house. It's like floodlights and I nearly cried when I saw them as the light pollution from them is terrible. They're not budging on switching them off when we're out. Is there anything we can do? Will the council deal with this as light pollution affecting the enjoyment of our property? Can I buy something to sit in/put out to block it out, although they're so high up and cover the full length of their garden that I don't know if this is possible? 

I was due to get my dad's 6" refractor telescope this year but now it feels like theres no point. Its not exactly portable to jump in the car and take it elsewhere as my lovely neighbour suggested :(My kids will be gutted too. We often sit out with some hot chocolate and binoculars stargazing. 

Any advice to a newbie would be much appreciated. 

Ask him politely again,  but secretly record the conversation, especially his response.

If it is, let's just say not very nice then buy about half a dozen guinea fowl and keep them in your affected garden.

I promise you within the week he'll be taking those lights down.  And if he complains, it's just like for like. He wants his floodlights, you have your guineas! 😃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2021 at 14:18, reezeh said:

Ask him politely again,  but secretly record the conversation, especially his response.

Depends on one or two party consent if that is legal.  It varies from state to state here in the US.  I'm not sure about the UK/EU.

On 18/04/2021 at 14:18, reezeh said:

If it is, let's just say not very nice then buy about half a dozen guinea fowl and keep them in your affected garden.

Legality depends on local zoning ordinances and HOA CC&Rs if that's allowed at any particular address in the US.  Again, not sure about the UK/EU.

As far as I know it’s legal to video someone without their consent in a public place in the UK. On private property you do need consent unless it’s to gather evidence of a serious crime but not a civil matter..

Edited by johninderby