Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neighbours security lights

Soloula

There seems to be a fashion for these lights on houses now. I've recently spotted several houses round here with lighting in the eaves that seems to serve no apparent purpose other than showing off the outside of the house when it's dark. Those belonging to the neighbour of the OP do seem excessively bright though

• Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 23:20, Soloula said:

Hi first post so hope this is in the right board.... My neighbour has just had four big spotlight dusk till dawn lights installed in the eaves of his house. It's like floodlights and I nearly cried when I saw them as the light pollution from them is terrible. They're not budging on switching them off when we're out. Is there anything we can do? Will the council deal with this as light pollution affecting the enjoyment of our property? Can I buy something to sit in/put out to block it out, although they're so high up and cover the full length of their garden that I don't know if this is possible? 

I was due to get my dad's 6" refractor telescope this year but now it feels like theres no point. Its not exactly portable to jump in the car and take it elsewhere as my lovely neighbour suggested :(My kids will be gutted too. We often sit out with some hot chocolate and binoculars stargazing. 

Any advice to a newbie would be much appreciated. 

So sad to see this.

Options if he's being unreasonable and he isn't deemed to be running a nuisance as in the .gov link are plant some evergreen trees or shrubs like photinia that will grow as a light screen or installing a photocell triggered air raid siren in his garden in the middle of the night with a wasp nest to guard it 😒

IMHO, these lighting systems don't improve security, because of the "crying wolf" effect of constantly switching on and actually act as burglary assistants by ever-so kindly holding a light for them.

On 19/10/2020 at 16:37, Tiny Clanger said:

I'd suggest waiting until  the husband is out, and having a chat with the wife, who sounds far more reasonable and might be able to talk her spouse round.  If he has gone all alpha-male-defend-my-territory, he may find it hard to (as he might see it) back  down to you. His poor wife presumably has learnt how to deal with him .

Unless he is the wife-beater sort.

My back garden here in Oxfordshire abuts onto 7 other properties. Almost all now have various lights in the trees, on fences and on lawns.  Those are tolerable but I’m now faced with three of the houses having incredibly  bright security lights on their rear walls coming on and off all night when something sets them off.  I feel now it’s just a losing battle against light pollution. 

• Sad 1

Musing on why this sudden increase in not so neighbourly lighting and it occurred to me that lights are just another of those consumer items that have become much cheaper to buy. Also cheap to run because of developments in LED technology, and they’re marketed as yet another must have for the consumer.  “Must have” but “don’t need” just about sums it up. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Musing on why this sudden increase in not so neighbourly lighting and it occurred to me that lights are just another of those consumer items that have become much cheaper to buy. Also cheap to run because of developments in LED technology, and they’re marketed as yet another must have for the consumer.  “Must have” but “don’t need” just about sums it up. 

And perhaps with lockdown, more people spending more time in their gardens. Witness the selling out of fire pits and patio heaters.

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Yep, my nice neighbour had her adult child return home to shield with her , and he seems to have spent a lot of time browsing ebay and buying tat , including at least 7 solar powered LED coloured lights of various types, turning her small back garden into a hideous mini Las Vegas. Luckily only one light was spoiling the dark in my garden, and they shifted it when I asked nicely, but I'm hoping the short daylight hours will curtail the time some of them glow.With a bit of luck, the winter rain will do for some too...

Solar LED lights are remarkably cheap and bright now days.

I  have a neighbour whose security light was ludicrously angled. I pointed out to him that security lights illuminate other people's premises making it easier for burglars to see where they are going.

He saw the logic of that and has switched his light off altogether.

• Like 2

On 31/10/2020 at 17:25, Tiny Clanger said:

Yep, my nice neighbour had her adult child return home to shield with her , and he seems to have spent a lot of time browsing ebay and buying tat , including at least 7 solar powered LED coloured lights of various types, turning her small back garden into a hideous mini Las Vegas. Luckily only one light was spoiling the dark in my garden, and they shifted it when I asked nicely, but I'm hoping the short daylight hours will curtail the time some of them glow.With a bit of luck, the winter rain will do for some too...

Solar LED lights are remarkably cheap and bright now days.

... and seem to last forever! We also have neighbours that found it necessary to dress their garden with solar LEDs, and they keep going for hours after dusk. The battery must have more amp-hours than I'm using to power my scope!

On 31/10/2020 at 16:45, JeremyS said:

And perhaps with lockdown, more people spending more time in their gardens. Witness the selling out of fire pits and patio heaters.

... which I would also put into the "anti-social" category (from an environmental perpective at least).

I think the other factor might be an increasing trend towards individualism over the years. For example, when I was a boy, there was an unwritten rule that you didn't light up a bonfire before dusk, because of other people trying to enjoy their gardens, dry washing etc.  These days it's pretty commonplace to see bonfires and barbecues lit up at all hours. Consumer security lighting didn't really exist back in the day, but if it had then I think people then would have given consideration to the effect on other people before installing or using it.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 13:37, Louis D said:

My neighbor has lights shining up into his trees and bushes at night, as if it serves any useful purpose.  I guess they think it looks neat.  Sort of like putting LED lights under your car.

That's where some of next doors lights are with me.
Light up trees and a tasteful* Giraffe in the tree, they light up the whole sky North and North East for me sadly.

*tasteful - as in not!

This is failing to mention the 15 foot tall Elephant in the front garden or the 10 foot high 15 foot diameter water feature,
that run all hours and of course is equally tastefully lit as well.

Edited by Alan White
  • Sad 2

Just now, Alan White said:

That's where some of next doors lights are with me.
Light up trees and a tasteful* Giraffe in the tree, they light up the whole sky North and North East for me sadly.

*tasteful - as in not!

Luckily, my neighbors are using low wattage solar charged lights only in their front yard that are fairly innocuous.  They were shining into our master bedroom window until I asked them to redirect them.  Even low wattage was annoying in our darkened bedroom.  Our houses block that light from being a problem in the backyard where I observe.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Luckily, my neighbors are using low wattage solar charged lights only in their front yard that are fairly innocuous.  They were shining into our master bedroom window until I asked them to redirect them.  Even low wattage was annoying in our darkened bedroom.  Our houses block that light from being a problem in the backyard where I observe.

I wish all security lights in the UK were solar charged 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

next door had a light high up but thankfully never used it in the previous few years. Apparently the bulb never lasted long, as in a few uses, and they tired of getting up a ladder. No way was I going to mention LED. They also have a bulkhead light above their patio door which causes enough light but at least its lower so not as much a nuisance. Thankfully a young couple have bought the place now and they're refurbishing with a lot of help from the parents, they have taken that high light off the wall. Hoping they don't replace it with anything as they've left the conduit and wire there, they know I have scopes so fingers crossed they turn out to be considerate when they finally move in.

Peeking over the fence just now to see who was bothering my black kitty (another jet black cat almost his double) I see the bulkhead light is gone too, that'll certainly help keep the light levels down in my garden. Reason for checking was little kitty will be off to vetin'ry in the morning to have his injured eye seen to, so was concerned he was going to get himself further injury. All ok tho thankfully 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59

oh joy, dad of one of the couple next door has just installed an insecurity light, LED type and high up the wall near the roof 😞 I do hope he sorts the aim and sensor out as right now it'll floodlight all the houses over the back of the garages as well as my garden etc. I do plan to watch how they finish setting up and speak to him, tho while he comes across as friendly he does seem quite opinionated as does his wife. Funny how he said hi and then disappeared off inside just after installing it tho. The guys parents seem much nicer and know I use telescopes but unfortunately they aren't around to chat with about it.

Thankfully I more observe to the south east direction,  so opposite from the side their garden is but that amount of light certainly won't help. Maybe EEVA will become the path I'll need to take, will have to see how bad it gets.

Edited by DaveL59

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2020 at 15:08, Peter Drew said:

All a bit of fun, contemplating what to do to combat an inconsiderate neighbour but mostly, to implement any such suggestions, would only exacerbate the situation and the OP is the one that has to live with the consequences.  The best thing to do is to bite your lip and carry on as best you can, eventually things cool down and hopefully the neighbour might take notice of the soaring electricity bills.  From a security aspect, I would sooner have a neighbour physically outside at night as a much more likely deterrent  than a row of "helpful lights.    🙂  

If they are L.E.D. lights not likely to be very much, something like that might only use 80W's or less.