Narrowband

The Great Orion nebula

emyliano2000

So, for the last few days I kept thinking that Orion is coming back in the scene and I was wondering if I should shoot it again with the 6" RC and QHY163M.

Because of that I decided to stack all the data I had on it from 2017 and 2018 to see what result I get from it and if it's the result is good enough I can skip it this year too and concentrate my imaging time on something else.

I only have 4 hours of data and maybe adding some Ha to it would bring some benefits, I don't know, but I'm really pleased with what I got from it and I just might skip it this year too, what do you think?

I got 8 spikes because I had the rotation set at both 90 and 0 degrees :)

Skywatcher 200p
Upgraded Carbon fibre Skywatcher 10" quattro
Astromodified Canon 700D
QHY10 osc cooled CCD
Skywatcher 0.9x coma corrector
Baader mpcc iii coma corrector
IDAS LPS-D1
IDAS LPS-D1Clip filter

200p + 700D: 59x120" ISO800, 50x3" ISO800, 4x30" ISO800, 3x300" ISO800
10" quattro and QHY10: 11x60" (gain: 15.00) -15C bin 1x1, 13x600" (gain: 15.00) -15C bin 1x1

Emil
M42_18_10_2020_rework_watermark1.thumb.png.0bcdc0ff61b7ac969ab2454c0d811e04.png

Edited by emyliano2000
  • Like 25

11 minutes ago, Paul M said:

The Great Orion Nebula

This name is the first name of a deep sky object that I ever heard. I heard it from my father talking to a friend when I was a child and always wondered what it was.

This is why I love to call it The Great Orion Nebula 😁

Emil

• Like 3

10 hours ago, emyliano2000 said:

This name is the first name of a deep sky object that I ever heard. I heard it from my father talking to a friend when I was a child and always wondered what it was.

This is why I love to call it The Great Orion Nebula 😁

Emil

It was probably my first non stellar non solar system encounter too. I remember seeing it long before I knew what it was. I was a very poor reader until I discovered that you can learn interesting things from books (something that wasn't immediately apparent to me from my education). It was from an old astronomy book in the school library that I learned that those three stars were Orion's Belt, from there the Sword and the Great Nebula. In those days there was no fancy digital image processing and even the best images in the world were nowhere near as impressive as many SGL offerings. These days most images of M42 are quite extended and have a double lobed appearance, which is beautiful, but as I said above you have the classic frame of the primary lobe with, again, the calassic colouring. I actually recognise it as my old friend!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Paul M said:

It was probably my first non stellar non solar system encounter too. I remember seeing it long before I knew what it was. I was a very poor reader until I discovered that you can learn interesting things from books (something that wasn't immediately apparent to me from my education). It was from an old astronomy book in the school library that I learned that those three stars were Orion's Belt, from there the Sword and the Great Nebula. In those days there was no fancy digital image processing and even the best images in the world were nowhere near as impressive as many SGL offerings. These days most images of M42 are quite extended and have a double lobed appearance, which is beautiful, but as I said above you have the classic frame of the primary lobe with, again, the calassic colouring. I actually recognise it as my old friend!

Firstly great picture Emil, really impressive. Paul M I know just what you mean about education and learning from books having a disconnect.

I am going to try my hardest to remember to call it by its full name from now on. A year ago I showed a non Astro friend my first Great Orion Nebula picture. He is not into Astro but very aware of the subject.

His first reaction was “So that’s what it really looks like”. Before I got a scope I just thought it was a star, but my friend already knew different with the naked eye! He didn’t know why, but knew it was not as defined and sharp so had independently come to the conclusion that it was different. 

Goes to prove that pictures like Emil’s can really complete a persons idea about something out of there reach. (not saying my was as good as the original OP)

Marvin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, emyliano2000 said:

So, for the last few days I kept thinking that Orion is coming back in the scene and I was wondering if I should shoot it again with the 6" RC and QHY163M.

Because of that I decided to stack all the data I had on it from 2017 and 2018 to see what result I get from it and if it's the result is good enough I can skip it this year too and concentrate my imaging time on something else.

I only have 4 hours of data and maybe adding some Ha to it would bring some benefits, I don't know, but I'm really pleased with what I got from it and I just might skip it this year too, what do you think?

I got 8 spikes because I had the rotation set at both 90 and 0 degrees :)

Skywatcher 200p
Upgraded Carbon fibre Skywatcher 10" quattro
Astromodified Canon 700D
QHY10 osc cooled CCD
Skywatcher 0.9x coma corrector
Baader mpcc iii coma corrector
IDAS LPS-D1
IDAS LPS-D1Clip filter

200p + 700D: 59x120" ISO800, 50x3" ISO800, 4x30" ISO800, 3x300" ISO800
10" quattro and QHY10: 11x60" (gain: 15.00) -15C bin 1x1, 13x600" (gain: 15.00) -15C bin 1x1

Emil
M42_18_10_2020_rework_watermark1.thumb.png.0bcdc0ff61b7ac969ab2454c0d811e04.png

I actually quite like the eight point star personally, adds a bit of star super sharpness. Might just be newt owner bias😁

M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the lovely comments.

Somebody actually told me that I can pull more out of it and he showed me his attempt with a RASA 8, under dark skies and dedicated astro camera. 

My intention was always to reveal only as much as I could without making a mess out of it and I'm very happy with it as it is, especially the 8 spikes 😁

I never thought of stacking everything on it before and it worked out very nice with the camera angle both at 90 and 0 degrees. 🙂

Emil

• Like 1