Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bubble Nebula (NGC7635) in (Ha,Sii+Oiii,Oiii)

glowingturnip

Well Covid-19 put a massive dent in my imaging this year, since my kit is in Spain and it's been really hard to get out there.  This is the first new work I've done this year, about 11 months after my last one.  So...  how is everyone anyway ?

Here it is:

50501478348_7cbc1223ca_o.pngBubble Nebula (NGC7635) by Stuart Goodwin, on Flickr  

About 20 each of 900s Ha, Oiii and Sii, darks flats and bias, equipment as per sig, Pixinsight.

I went for the (Ha, Sii+Oiii, Oiii) palette since I wanted something closer to natural colouring than the Hubble palette gives, especially since the different bands are quite different weights in this target.  To be honest, getting a colour palette I liked was quite a struggle until I eventually had the idea of nudging it a little bit on the hue wheel - after that and some PI curvetool trickery, I'm quite pleased with the result (depending which monitor you believe, of course)

As an aside, we finally managed to get functional wifi and Netflix in our remote valley in Spain, so I think I managed to send myself half doolally binge-watching re-runs of The IT Crowd while capturing this.

The Bubble Nebula (NGC7635) is an emission nebula in the constellation Cassiopeia.  The "bubble" is created by the stellar wind from a massive hot young central star 44 times the mass of our sun.  The nebula is in a giant molecular cloud which limits the expansion of the bubble while itself being excited by the hot central star, causing it to glow.  It was discovered in 1787 by William Herschel.

Hope you enjoy !

Stuart

• Like 15