Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Back again

nephilim

Hi, just thought I'd say a quick hello. I've been a member on here for over 8yrs mainly visual but became a bit disillusioned after a couple of failed attempts at AP,  my failures were due to inappropriate equipment & also a lack of funds to try it with the right equipment.

Circumstances have changed & I'm able to give it a prIMG_20201017_145832_9.thumb.jpg.16db78eb548e0d29b504360240fbd291.jpgoper go this time although kit will be bought on a monthly basis so I won't be up & running until Jan/Feb, which gives me plenty of time for research.

The first & most important piece of kit arrived the other day. It's the Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount  which is similar to the HEQ5 Pro but can carry a little more weight & has a different GOTO system although I'll be using it with ASCOM & Stellarium, it seems a very good quality piece of kit. So here I go again ,😬

Edited by nephilim
Spelling error
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Welcome back Nephilim. Sounds like you have a better strategy this time. Wish you clear skies and great success.

Thanks Starwatcher 2001, 

I've finally accepted there's really no cheap way when it comes to AP. It'll take a few months to save for the equipment but in the long run the investment will be more than worth it. Clear skies to you too 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi and a very warm welcome back, Nephilim. Yep, AP can be difficult, demanding and expensive. Although, with your new collection you will stand a great chance of collecting some real good images :)

Steve

Thanks Steve,

The new mount is definitely a step up from my old EQ5 with aftermarket motors 😁 I would however pay handsomely for a way of guaranteeing clear skies 😬

4 hours ago, Philip R said:

Hi @nephilim and welcome back to SGL. :hello2:

I have been reading some of your posts in your absence.

Cheers @Philip R. I've been away for quite a while although I did briefly ask a couple of questions a few years ago, it was about starting up with AP again 🙄, but in the end just left it as it was all down to lack of funds.

This time I spent around 6 months researching, making sure that if I did try again that I would do it with proper kit. I'm committed now that I've bought the mount though as that's the first big hurdle out of the way (and the most expensive). 

I won't be up & running until around January/ February, which is fine as the weather up here in the Lake District is usually clouds & more clouds until the new year when the cold, crisp, clear nights tend to start, so plenty of time for research so I get it right 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...