Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

Tiny Clanger

Hi all,

I've created an account to say thank you for all the excellent information SGL has  provided me with in the last few months, as I hunted specific queries  SGL often cropped up in search results, and I've very much appreciated the helpful, clear (and often very forbearing of beginners asking questions which must have been asked and answered dozens of times before ...) responses.

You've helped me spend my money (relatively) wisely , when lockdown had me hauling out the old Celestron 114 on a wobbly cheap eq that I inherited in the 1990s , getting annoyed with it, and hoping something less irritating might be available within my limited budget. Happily my search coincided precisely with the arrival of the new skywatcher heritage 150p dobs, and since then (clouds permitting ) I've certainly had my moneys worth from the 'scope already both from viewing planets & Messier objects from a light polluted suburban garden, and in the daylight from tinkering to PFTE tape the focusser, make a light shroud, dew shield etc etc.. I've used your collective advice to inform purchase of eyepieces (the budget stretched to a couple of cheap plossls and one rather nice BST starguider 8mm ) and a pair of Opticron Adventurer T WP 10x50 binoculars, which work really well on a monopod & ball head I already owned.

As well as a lifelong interest in the subject  , I studied astronomy as a subsidiary subject as an undergrad decades ago, so have some idea of the basics ( altho' much of the detail has moved on apace !) and have been both a pro. and now a hobby , photographer , which helps with understanding the optical aspects (especially if your experience goes back to the days of film when good lenses were primes and autofocus was sci-fi ). For the good of my modest savings I'm going to try and stop myself from doing more than minor incidental dabbling in astro photo using the Nikons I already own !

So, again, thanks for all the help freely given,

Heather

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Heather,

I've seen you posting contributions over the last month or so - I always smile when I see your username and your Clanger pic. It's great to have you with us!

I've been fighting my OCD because it's really none of my business and it's such a lovely picture.... but did you know that the clanger in your pic is Major Clanger not Tiny Clanger?

I have found the pictures below online of Tiny Clanger looking through / with a telescope if you're interested.

Apologies if you think me rude - I do hope not as this is not my intention. 

I do actually prefer the picture you've chosen - it's just my OCD that can't get past that it doesn't feature Tiny.

image.thumb.png.bf663aeb9f5a3d48b8fba5cf972b1281.png

Or this one:

image.thumb.png.1517ab43fc9b8aecf649cef6265c620a.png

Or this:

image.thumb.png.b5a2461c7f93df18826f49942e55b6b0.png

5 minutes ago, globular said:

Hi Heather,

I've seen you posting contributions over the last month or so - I always smile when I see your username and your Clanger pic. It's great to have you with us!

I've been fighting my OCD because it's really none of my business and it's such a lovely picture.... but did you know that the clanger in your pic is Major Clanger not Tiny Clanger?

I have found the pictures below online of Tiny Clanger looking through / with a telescope if you're interested.

Apologies if you think me rude - I do hope not as this is not my intention. 

I do actually prefer the picture you've chosen - it's just my OCD that can't get past that it doesn't feature Tiny.

image.thumb.png.bf663aeb9f5a3d48b8fba5cf972b1281.png

Or this one:

image.thumb.png.1517ab43fc9b8aecf649cef6265c620a.png

Or this:

image.thumb.png.b5a2461c7f93df18826f49942e55b6b0.png

😀😀 I know !

My thought processes (such as they are) went like this : Clanger would be a good user name , especially as a friend made me my very own crochet clanger last year, and it stands proudly on the bookcase, above where the heritage 150 sleeps during the day.

Curses, 'Clanger' is taken as a username already ! Major Clanger fits my general demeanour (in a humorous wordplay kind of way) but sounds like a leader, and male, and I'm neither, so better go for a more androgynous and modest space mouse ... Tiny will do.  Account set up ,  hooray.

Now, an avatar ... too lazy to spend time making a good image of my own clanger at my 'scope, (something I may get  round to one day)  I trawled the web looking for a good image, and found some of Tiny plus telescope as you have , but they were too complex as images to make a good, er,  tiny Tiny avatar . The simple  'Major pointing' image did crop nicely to a square though, whilst still being recognizable, and I like the way that having flipped it in photoshop, he is pointing to the post above mine .

I doubted anyone would notice ... should 'a known better ! Sorry for triggering your OCD, I hope my explanation helps damp down the reflex reaction to the dissonance I've made. 😀

Heather

• Like 1

Phew, glad you're not angry with me.

The events you describe are exactly what I assumed.  I even found the original picture you used and said to myself "she's flipped that".

The last one I posted has Tiny pointing.... that could be cropped and flipped and squared off.... but I should shush before I do make you angry at me.