Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner Alt drive problem

Madcapdj

Hi. I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 250px that has not been used for a number of years (shame on me!). I decided to get it up and running again but have found a problem.

The standard setup procedure is to point the tube North and set it level but when the Alt motor runs the tube does not raise, there is just some creaking noises. If I raise the tube by hand to about 30 degrees the motor will take over and carry on raising the tube just fine.

I have opened the motor cover and checked that there are no stripped gears and everything there is OK. It seems like a sort of clutch problem.

Has anybody else experienced this, and if so do you have any idea how to correct the problem.

Thanks

Edited by Madcapdj
Correction

Welcome to SGL.  Sounds as though the tube is unbalanced and front heavy, the higher the tube is raised, the less the effect is.  Have you left the cover on the front for this test?    🙂

Edited by Peter Drew
typo

My thanks to Optical Vision Ltd for their detailed and very helpful instructions on how to adjust the altitude clutch, which was the cause of my problem. I have attached the instruction sheet for anyone else with the same issue.

DOB GOTO ALT Friction Adjustment.pdf

Edited by Madcapdj
Fat fingered typing!