Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rings, adapters, etc. for imaging and observations

Hey Guys,

As I am closer to start (just wait for mount delivery and must to buy few more accessories) I want to double check that I have everything that I need for imaging and observations as well in terms of rings/adapters etc. This area is pretty complicated for a newbie even after watching tons of vids it will be better for me to make things tied together.

I have SW Evostar 80 ED with Dual-Speed 2" Crayford Focuser installed, Canon 6D and FF/Reducer. Below I will list few scenarios which could be a case for me. Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere:

1. DSLR + 0,85x field flattener: Sounds easy as everything I need is to screw FF to nosepiece, install it in focuser and on other side screw M48 Camera Adapter and plug in DSLR. I can rotate it on nosepiece and focuser connection.

2. DSLR without FF: I need to buy 2 inch Focus Extension T Adapter. On one side I will screw nosepiece, on other M48 Camera adapter and plug in DSLR. I can rotate it on nosepiece and focuser connection.

Regarding above, is there any situation where imaging DSO without FF/Reducer will be better? Or if I have FF/Reducer already, should I forget about buying "2 inch Focus Extension T Adapter" as there is no point? My concern is that I have full frame camera so that's why I am not sure I will need so huge FOV.

1.  Observations: This sounds easy. I just need to install diagonal into focuser and put eyepiece on the other side of diagonal. I can rotate it on diagonal and focuser connection. Actually this the only scenario that I have tested already on 10m far rock fences and I was able to find focus without any problems.

Below two cases are pretty mixed so please be patient :)

2. Observations with FF/Reducer. I am not even sure this is possible but I have seen on Field of View Calculator in "Observations" tab, there is possibility to add FF/Reducer. So I have tried 3 ways. First was to screw nosepiece to FF/Reducer and install in focuser, screw FF/Reducer to diagonal and install eyepiece. Second way was just to install diagonal in focuser, screw nosepiece to FF/Reducer and eyepiece on other side, install it in diagonal. 3rd try was to screw nosepiece to FF, then eyepiece to FF (without diagonal) and install it into focuser. I was unable to catch focus on 10m far rock fence in any of those ways.

3. I have 2 adapter which I am not sure what is it (please find attached pictures). Both match focuser and eyepiece hole in diagonal. So my guess 1.jpg is adapter for 1,25'' eyepiece which goes to diagonal but what is  2.jpg I have no clue. Maybe just different version of the same adapter? 

Thanks for any respond, regards,

Raf

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by raf2020

Hi Raf

Glad you’re getting on with my old scope. It will give you some great images.

Basics first. For photography, use the flattener. It rounds out the stars in the far corners of the frame, and reduces the focal length, so effectively gives you a ‘faster’ lens (more light gathering ability)

For visual, remove the flattener, stick in the diagonal plus eyepiece of your choice and off you go. Either of the those adapters will sleeve down the 2” diagonal to 1.25” (the most common size for eyepieces)

You need a Canon bayonet T ring to connect the camera to the end of the flattener. As it’s a DSLR, it probably has 55mm back focus already, from the end of the flattener to the sensor inside the camera, so it should now be good to go. If/when you buy a dedicated Astro camera, you’ll need to use extension rings (normally supplied) to get the 55mm back focus.

Hope that helps you get started 🙂

Dave

• Like 1

Thank you @Davehux,

Ring like attached one? I have ordered also Optolong L-Pro EOS-FF clip in filter. Do you think that FF/Reducer could affect it in any way? I might need it as I live in Bortle class 7 area.

Regards,

Raf

PXL_20201017_133003360.jpg

Edited by raf2020

Hi mate.

Looks like the job. Should have a Canon bayonet on the other side to fit into your camera body.

The clip-in filter won’t affect the flattener, as it fits inside the camera body, in front of the mirror.

Dave

• Like 1