Narrowband

Another "which processing software?" thread

Mr Thingy

...sorry for asking this as I imagine it's been asked a few times before. But I had a few specific questions, so I raise a new thread.

I see a lot of people in YT use Photoshop but I really despise the subscription model and would much prefer a one-time fee (or no fee at all!)

Pixinsight looked very interesting, but the price is heavy (£200 iirc). GIMP is free but I assume must therefore have limitations.

Does anyone have a comparison of options, with pros and cons and details of what key functionality each has?

Maybe some of you have tried a few and can give recommendations?

Cheers

Edited by Mr Thingy

Photoshop is used to tweak the image after it has been acquired from the camera and after the pre-processing, flats darks etc.

Programs like Astroart can control all your cameras, do the necessary pre-processing and a lot of the post processing you may need.

Well worth checking out.

Edited by Merlin66
spelling
  • Like 1

For stacking good free options are DSS deep sky stacker and SIRIL

For post processing I use StarTools (very reasonably priced) and also I have installed paintshop pro and also affinity, both picked up when there was a deal offer for around £20 but if I had neither GIMP would do the same.

For quick file resizing for sharing Irfanview (free)

For looking at FITS files Fitsliberator (free)

For image capture with Canon DSLR use Android phone and DSLR Controller.

For webcam control Firecapture or ICCap (free) and processing Registax (free) 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Thingy said:

I'd not encountered Startools before. Very reasonably priced.

In terms of functionality, how does it rate against Pixinsight or Photoshop?

Probably not a lot it can’t do @jager945 Startools developer could tell you if there’s anything it can’t do that pi or ps can do 

• Like 1

+1 for AstroArt, it's very underrated and unfairly overlooked in the rush to the latest "flavour of the month" software. As @Merlin66 says above, it's more than just a post processing package, and can handle all your camera control, guiding, and platesolving needs.

I also use GIMP (Which is very powerful now) and Affinity Photo.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rnobleeddy said:

+1 for Startools, because

- it's good value

- has good tutorials and an active forum

- as of the latest version supports GPU's so is a lot faster

Of course, I haven't tried out everything - maybe one day!

The GPU part is interesting for me.

I have a gaming rig, so my GPU is pretty powerful (GeForce 1080ti). I was wondering if any of the processing software utilised the GPU.

16 minutes ago, Mr Thingy said:

The GPU part is interesting for me.

I have a gaming rig, so my GPU is pretty powerful (GeForce 1080ti). I was wondering if any of the processing software utilised the GPU.

Some info here Ivo Jager Startools developer @jager945 talks a bit more about gpu  in the thread  

Edited by bottletopburly