Narrowband

M31 then and now.

Icesheet

M31 was one of my first images when I first caught the astrophotography bug and I hadn’t imaged it since. This one was shot with my Esprit 100 and a modded Canon 1000D (guided by an ASI1600 as I’ve been waiting months for my new guide cam!)

20x300’ lights

10 Darks, 30 bias, 30 flat

Stacked in DSS and processed in PS

I have been back and forth with the colour and saturation trying to find a balance between that and the noise. Had to stop somewhere so here it is. As always any constructive comments more than welcome 

At least I can say I have made an improvement from my first effort 😊

CC71CD20-3D12-45C3-967E-582B16F6F655.jpeg

83C9FC97-DBE4-4C1F-A7FA-6E55832B5B16.jpeg

Edited by Icesheet
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Icesheet said:

guided by an ASI1600

Wow! Not sure I've ever seen that before 😁 - the 1600 is my main imaging camera!

Great image of M31 - always a favourite.

I hope you don't mind but I have had a play with your image.

On my screen there seems to be a strong magenta cast so I took your image into PixInsight, inverted it and removed the green content using the SCNR process; I then re-inverted the image and it produced this. To my eyes the background now looks more natural and the colour cast has gone.

It must be possible to do something similar in PS but I'm not sure how.

m31-icesheet-aa.thumb.jpeg.74a07c288dd8f75b1850a8178218acb1.jpeg

I know colour can be very subjective and this may not be at all pleasing to your eyes so apologies if I've produced something you don't favour.

Adrian

• Like 2

Thanks @Adreneline! Now that I look at yours and mine side by side I completely agree. I had probably been looking at it so much I couldn’t tell anymore. Actually I had this previous version that has a more neutral background (although I see there’s still a slight magenta tone) but I couldn’t get the ‘pop’ I wanted from the Galaxy so I must have pushed it too much trying to do that. You’ve got the best of both now. I’ll have a search around to see if I can do similar in PS 👍🏻

D87A99D8-819F-4016-9BD5-B669781A5002.jpeg

Edited by Icesheet

Both images are very nice in my view, the others playing have improved them but processing is not easy and can often be the make or break of an image. Some I feel over saturate images which you have not done the, I even do it myself, the people that have had a play have improved your data but two images to be proud of.

Alan

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Both images are very nice in my view, the others playing have improved them but processing is not easy and can often be the make or break of an image. Some I feel over saturate images which you have not done the, I even do it myself, the people that have had a play have improved your data but two images to be proud of.

Alan

Thanks Alan! Yes I’m guilty of it myself and it tends to be you try to push it when you don’t have the data to do it. 

Always good to have the input from others. One of the main ways to improve 👍🏻

• Like 1