SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Family Maths and Takahashi.

Fozzie

I am without scope, my beloved f11 is going to a new master, who has great plans for it, which made the transaction a little more bearable..  this however puts me in the market place, which requires certain discussions with the finance director..  never easy, even when thoroughly rehearsed..

"I'm surprised you sold your scope without getting one in first, have you seen one you like?"

Innocent enough "I've seen loads I like, not made my mind up yet, thinking similar but better glass tbh"  "like this for instance" flashing her a picture of a Tak DZ package.. at £3k

"Take this for instance... I'd  probably never need to buy another 4" frac ever again"

"For as long as you live" she says... "That's right.. take I keep it for the rest of my life..Do you know how much that would be a day...?" 

"Yes" she says.. "about £3k"

I didn't know she was that good at maths... 😞

• Haha 18

9 hours ago, andrew s said:

Have a word with Mrs @JeremyS I am sure see can sneak one out from under his nose without him noticing he has so many now.

Regards Andrew 

Takahashi scopes not noses that is 

Takitus is worse than the green and black slippery slope..  If feel bad for @JeremyS for being so inflicted...  

I'm also fairly sure every Tak he had was on a 50% promo, with a further reduction of 15% if bought in cash, with a claimable cash back value to put towards his next purchase...  

I'm going to print a few dummy voucher codes off from work...  see if i get that past the mathematician at home!

for what its worth..  being tired, i rekon i've 30 years in me.. that's nearly 11,000 days.. so that DZ would cost me £0.27 a day...  You can't even buy a 10p fudge for that now..

Money well spent considering the resale value of say £1800..  that would equate to £0.11/day....   sign me up, we should all have one when you think about it!

£3k a day, what is she on about! ☠️ 😬

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, andrew s said:

Have a word with Mrs @JeremyS I am sure see can sneak one out from under his nose without him noticing he has so many now.

Regards Andrew 

Takahashi scopes not noses that is 

Yes, he might offer you a further discount if you say you are happy to buy one of his scopes minus the handle?😇😁.

...over on UKABS, is that beautiful unmarked FS102 that's been reduced a bit..😊

Good luck with whatever you go for, Fozzie.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Yes, he might offer you a further discount if you say you are happy to buy one of his scopes minus the handle?😇😁.

...over on UKABS, is that beautiful unmarked FS102 that's been reduced a bit..😊

Good luck with whatever you go for, Fozzie.

Dave

Who buys a scope with out a handle!!

I've seen both the FS and Stu's vixen FL...  both lovely but both requiring me to take out of savings which I don't want to do, keep it for a rainy day...  unless @stu has somewhere to swipe a card I'll be buying new...  maybe... don't know yet...  

• Haha 2

On 16/10/2020 at 08:12, Fozzie said:

I do need to figure out what i'm going to look through though....  after the stellalyra cloud penalty the UK is currently under disperses! 🤔

The trick is to be annoying enough that £3k to get you out the house in the evening seems like a bargain, but not so annoying that she gets all your scopes in the divorce settlement!

Edited by Shimrod
fixed typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Regrettably I think I might have desensitized her to my annoying behaviour over the last few years.. 

I secretly think she knows I'm going to spend... problem I'll have is when it comes back at me! The debt will always be paid..

Funny story on that, a colleague of mine had a heart attack at home a few years ago, in the middle of the night.. his wife a intensive care nurse saved his life..  a few weeks after he returned to work, she rang him, he was stood in my office and clear as bell over the line his wife starts with "you know how I saved your life..." I had to leave I was chuckling that much, poor lads credit card is steaming now!

• Haha 3

Does one 100 mm Takahashi look like another, if they do you should be able to swap them with out notice, I hear it gets done, but probably not a good long term strategy . This guys has strategies for distributing them around friends houses, around 9.50 min mark...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Send yourself an email congratulating you on winning a (telescope of choice) and keep the ensuing expense secret.    :evil4:  

Peter Drew..... what utter depths of deviousness!!

Do you have a proforma you can send me!?

Negotiations are going well... so far I've pushed bedtime back by 10mins, and I can get a starter with our takeaway tonight... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Could go for the cheaper DC? £1,800 for the ota. Same optical quality. 2.8kg. 

You also have the “impending no deal Brexit, imported telescopes to double in price from January 1st” argument to roll out if things get difficult?

What is the import duty going to be from Germany and Japan in the new year?

Goodness knows. After this week’s breakdown in communications between U.K. govt and EU, it looks like we’re heading for no deal. That would mean U.K. moving to WTO rules for EU imports, obviously making things more expensive. We have just signed a free trade agreement with Japan..... though not holding out much hope for Tak prices coming down. 🤣🤣

Edited by Highburymark

Looking pathetic along with being dreamy eyed has worked for me many times. She will soon take pity on you, especially when she hears you talking on the phone to an astro friend, explaining how cheap in real terms Takahashi scopes are.  I used this tactic years ago, making sure my wife heard all about a friend who paid £1000 per year to be a member of a golf club, and £15 per game played. Tak refractors are a steal by comparison as they are forever. And don't forget to grovel!!!

• Haha 5

"I'd  probably never need to buy another 4" frac ever again"

That leaves plenty of wriggle room - while the 4 inch niche would be filled, there is then the 3 inch, 5 inch and 6 inch lifetime scope niches to plan for :grin:

(Tak have great options in all those niches :evil:)

I was going to buy one really great refractor in 2016 and I ended up buying two ! :rolleyes2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Looking pathetic along with being dreamy eyed has worked for me many times. She will soon take pity on you, especially when she hears you talking on the phone to an astro friend, explaining how cheap in real terms Takahashi scopes are.  I used this tactic years ago, making sure my wife heard all about a friend who paid £1000 per year to be a member of a golf club, and £15 per game played. Tak refractors are a steal by comparison as they are forever. And don't forget to grovel!!!

Cheap in real terms, I got it down to 11p per day over 30 years.. like a true finance office, no emotion or sympathy.. or actual understanding of anything other than ledger books.. problem is negotiating has highlighted a few up and coming pesky bills for her car that might take precedence.. I know, i know collective groan!

So it won't be this time round for a premium 4"..  and I'm ok with this, having a young family I almost feel guilty spending money on myself, the right priority in many ways as I'm sure many can understand..  I think for now I'll look towards one of the 102mm f7 fpl53..  Hardy a hardship..

Also to say thanks for those who have DMd me offering some great scopes, including one that might take up on as itll make a great lunar imaging rig..

I think although I could... and I can which is a privilege to be in such a position especially this year.. I'll be sensible and go small steps as opposed to great big one..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Goodness knows. After this week’s breakdown in communications between U.K. govt and EU, it looks like we’re heading for no deal. That would mean U.K. moving to WTO rules for EU imports, obviously making things more expensive. We have just signed a free trade agreement with Japan..... though not holding out much hope for Tak prices coming down. 🤣🤣

So APM will be the same price as Tak, say 8% duty... If I wait might as well get the TOA-130, however given the weather little motivation...

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on the negotiations.... 

She's not just good at maths apparently... 

20201027_115729.thumb.jpg.c577f7ac321c9cf7af42de905ee93c70.jpg

Although the good news, I have a dispatch note from DHL for my 102 f7 ed....

Yey!

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 2