SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Interstellarium DSA. Field Vs desk

I've been looking at the interstellarium depo sky atlas and wondering if it's worth the money? At £135 for the field edition it's not cheap!!

I already have the Cambridge star atlas but find is not really as detailed as I would like.

I have a 12" dob and usually do my observing in bortle 3 skies.

EDIT- after looking into it a bit more I have decided to go for it however I'm now unsure about getting the desk version or the more expensive field version 🤣🤣 

Please help!!!

Edited by popeye85

13 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

I started off with SkyAtlas 2000, but I'm not sure it's any more detailed than Cambridge. I've recently moved to the newfangled SkySafari app with the add on databases and find it goes deeper, but doesn't look as detailed as Interstellarium on DSOs.

The Cambridge only good down to 6.5 but the IDSA is as far as 9.5 so closer to what I see through the ep.

I do have a couple apps on my phone but to be honest I'm a bit old skool so the phone stays in my pocket when I'm out!!!

The Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas is great. The binning of objects in several categories based on what can be seen with different telescope sizes is very convenient and unique for a star atlas. The pages are large and well-scaled.

I have the Field Edition: the pages feel like paper but they handle moisture really well. If you take the atlas outside to use at the scope, it's well worth the investment, in my opinion.

i have the desk edition of the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas -and it is my 'goto' atlas these days. The page organisation and the way it has been annotated make it a joy to use. I use it mainly for building observing lists, and don't take it out the field.

I have a fair few number of atlases, but none other makes it off the shelf these days, except on occasions my Pocket Sky Atlas or 1950's epoch Notron's.

Callum

23 hours ago, Waddensky said:

The Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas is great. The binning of objects in several categories based on what can be seen with different telescope sizes is very convenient and unique for a star atlas. The pages are large and well-scaled.

I have the Field Edition: the pages feel like paper but they handle moisture really well. If you take the atlas outside to use at the scope, it's well worth the investment, in my opinion.

Have you seen the desk edition to compare the two?