sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

ZWO ASI2600MC PRO is it worth it ?

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Using mine with a Sharpstar 150HNT and discovered that a 2" filter fits neatly between the coma corrector and and camera connector.

ZWO do a limited range of filters designed for some of their cameras.

Dave

Did you get it working with Sgpro?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is 47 x 180s and a raw sub from my QHY268C - same chip.

I have the QHY268C version (same chip).  It is superb. Issues to consider are cooling, QE and adaption to telescopes/filters/OAG. As it happens, I have Fuji XT3 mirrorless camera- same chip

I am putting it on the Redcat the next clear night.  I believe this camera and that scope is a winning combination.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Did you get it working with Sgpro?

Sort of, good enough to take new flats.

Spent a couple of hours today figuring out how to restore  the ASIAIR Pro firmware, the most useless website ever, in the instructions it says look at how to do it on their site, took ages to find it, why the hell don't they just put a hyper link in the instructions, then lots of ambiguous instructions when you do find it.
Still haven't done it but given up now and making something to fit an Optolong L-eNhance in the Sharpstar, much rather work with my hands than damn computers  😂

Dave

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi all

im thinking about getting the 2600 mc pro I currently have the redcat and l extreme in the built in imaging train. Will this work? I have read here that the sensor size is too large?

thanks 

Finally I bought it...and I have done a quick test 1 time only...with the same setup like yours...the field of view with the Redcat51 is too wide , I can't really say the I liked it so much but will check again.

I am happy that I own an Esprit100ED which will give me a better field of view with this camera.

Yes the sensor is large specially if you have used before other camera's , but it doesn't cause any problems except the field of view.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Nikolas74 said:

Finally I bought it...and I have done a quick test 1 time only...with the same setup like yours...the field of view with the Redcat51 is too wide , I can't really say the I liked it so much but will check again.

I am happy that I own an Esprit100ED which will give me a better field of view with this camera.

Yes the sensor is large specially if you have used before other camera's , but it doesn't cause any problems except the field of view.

Thanks Nikolas. Perhaps I look at the 071 instead. I am still fairly new to the hobby and shooting wide has its benefits so for me I don’t believe it puts me of too much. Is it your first dedicated camera? I assume you can really notice the difference is quality? My 300s subs on dslr has painful horizontal banding 

thanks 

17 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

Thanks Nikolas. Perhaps I look at the 071 instead.

Hi Simon the ZWO-071 is an APS-C size sensor with a pixel size of 4.78u, coupled with the Redcat 51 it will give you an image scale of 3.9 arc/sec per pixel. I have found an image scale of 1-2 arc/sec per pixel better suits U.K. skies. 

19 minutes ago, Xsubmariner said:

Hi Simon the ZWO-071 is an APS-C size sensor with a pixel size of 4.78u, coupled with the Redcat 51 it will give you an image scale of 3.9 arc/sec per pixel. I have found an image scale of 1-2 arc/sec per pixel better suits U.K. skies. 

Thanks Xsubmariner Are you able to recommend a cooled camera for my needs? I mainly image nebula, but I will look to something with a bit more focal in the future probably still only around 500-700mm and ideally do not want two separate cameras (keeping the cost down ish). 

Thanks 

Edited by Simon Pepper

The best suited camera for the Redcat51 when I was doing a research coming from the Atik 383+mono , was the ZWO ASI183 mono or color , but it didn't suit my needs also I was looking for something newer.

There is no banding in the Asi2600mc pro...I didn't notice any.

Before switching to dedicated astro camera's I use to have Canon , my last one was the 750d which had strong banding lines due to the new technology of the focus points in the sensor.

2 hours ago, Simon Pepper said:

Thanks Xsubmariner Are you able to recommend a cooled camera for my needs?

It is always difficult to recommend a camera for other people as there are many factors that need to be considered. If you are able to buy new and your preference is for a cmos camera why would you consider a first generation unit with its known limitations when the second generation units are already available. The new 16 bit IMX based cameras are a substantial improvement in noise, QE and don’t suffer microlensing.

If you are prepared to consider CCD as well as CMOs and used, there is plenty of choice and the market has been buoyant recently with some cracking cameras to be had.

2 hours ago, Nikolas74 said:

The best suited camera for the Redcat51 when I was doing a research coming from the Atik 383+mono , was the ZWO ASI183 mono or color , but it didn't suit my needs also I was looking for something newer.

There is no banding in the Asi2600mc pro...I didn't notice any.

Before switching to dedicated astro camera's I use to have Canon , my last one was the 750d which had strong banding lines due to the new technology of the focus points in the sensor.

I have the same it’s really bad! I have the 800d as well but that’s not modified. 

21 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

but that’s not modified

Even if you modify banding stays the same it's on the sensor build.

Try checking at the astronomy tools web site...there is a place that you can check which camera sensor size matches better your needs in Field of View.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tooth_dr
      I've been trying to image a couple of galaxies per night, one pre and one post flip.  On early Saturday morning at 1:30am I changed over to M82, and acquired 63 x 3 mins subs, OSC, totalling 3 hours and 9 minutes of data. 
      Camera: ZWO 2600MC at -10 deg C, gain 100, offset 50
      Telescope: Skywatcher 250PX (blue tube), 1200mm F4.7
      Mount: Mesu e200
      Guiding: ZWO OAGv2, 290MM, PHD2
      Filters: None
      Software: APT for capture, APP and PS for processing

I havent really had a chance to get much use out of this camera since I bought it in December, and I havent processed many OSC images before.  I've a bit of work to do, but still very happy with the quality of the data for just 3 hours of integration time.  I would like to add some Ha to this, but purposely didnt bother during the recent clear spell, as it was moonless nights and I gathered some broadband data on other targets instead.

CC welcome.
      Adam

• By GHOSTGOJ
      hello,
      I have been imaging the California nebula and found that there was a large gradient in the final image. I have now taken some flat frames for the setup and found that the gradient was in all of the photos and took up about 1/3 of the sensor space. 

I have attached an image of a flat frame to show the issue. 

I am currently using a skywatcher esprit 100ed with my ASI 294 MC PRO. Between the two of them are, field flattened, ZWO OAG, 2 spacers and ontology l-enhance filter. I have checked down the objective and can see no issues with the alignment up to the filter. All threads are screwed in correctly with a snug fit, and there are no massive pieces of debris covering the objective.
      need help ASAP please.
      cheers,
      george

• By Mark Jo
      hi, apologies if this is not correct location for this question
      Trying to setup for guiding for first time with these cameras ASI385 MC and ASI290 mm mini , when both connected on usb3 and USB 2 respectively only the ASI290 appears and is duplicated. Both on USB2 appear correctly
      Have looked at various forums and have checked the details below but nothing has helped with this.
      Guide camera ZWO ASI290 mm mini connected by usb 2 port and ZWO ASI385 MC for imaging to USB 3 port both with new 2 meter usb cables
      Sharpcap v3.2.6477
      10 year old Toshiba laptop
      No obvious issues connecting singly.
      Both appear in device manager with correct name.
      In Sharpcap when both are connected ASI385 to usb3 and ASI to USB 2, the ASI290 appears duplicated and no 385.
      Both connected to USB 2 ports they appear correctly under the ZWO cameras.
      Have looked in some forums and have most recent version of sharpcap installed, updated ZWO drivers,  disabled USB Selective suspend in the power management and disabled the sleep option in windows.
      Checked the USB drivers and they appear to  be upto date
      When both cameras were connected the ASI 290 was losing connection every 20 – 30 seconds, disabling USB Selective suspend being disabled appears to have stopped this happening
      Is it that the laptop needs to be retired at least from astroimaging I saw a mention that there could be an issue with chipset, or is there anything else that I can do ?

log.txt
    • By KEJ
      Restoring a Backup on a Mac

Something else I came across and a chap called Terry on Facebook had a solution.
      Again, you might already know this, but just in case.

Backup
      You buy a new ASIAIR Pro, you are pretty much advised that one of the first things you should do, is to create a backup of your software(includes your license key) from the supplied SD card.
      And one of the common methods suggested for Mac users is to use the “Apple Pi Baker” program/application.

So, I used the application to create my backup and saved it in a safe place, in fact I made two copies(belt and braces).
      Then, yesterday, I thought I should really try to restore one of these backups to make sure they actually work, else what is the point of having a backup for that rainy day.
      And actually, I will keep the original safe and use my copy going forward.

Restore
      So, I inserted a new blank SD card(Fat32) and started the restore process, letting it run its course.
      Once it had finished, I did a quick eye ball to compare the copy to the original and all the files appeared to be there.

I then plugged the restored SD card back into the ASIAIR Pro, but the device would not start/boot up!
      Just in case, I then reformatted another SD card and tried that one, but still no good.
      I then created another backup from the original SD card(so all in all I had img and zip versions) and tried to restore them, the same result, fail.

On further investigation, it looks like this is fairly common.
       Terry on ASIAIR Facebook group suggested downloading the file from the ZWO website, but then using your own License file.

I then used the ASIAIR PRO link above(from the “How_to_Restore_ASIAIR_OS.pdf” on line doc)  to get the file.
      First, keeping a copy of my zwoair_license safe of course(still on the original SD card).
      The file is pretty large, unzips to about 31 GB and takes a while to download(9GB zipped) even on cable.

I then restored(using Apple Pi Baker) this new downloaded file to my new SD card and once it had completed, I then overwrote(replaced) the 
      existing “zwoair_license” file with my original(my unique supplied copy).
      Next, I then inserted the new copied/restored SD card into the ASIAIR Pro and it started.
      Finally, I then connected via the ASIAIR app using my IPhone and was prompted to update the firmware to the latest version which I did.

Happy Ending
      Bingo all good, the original SD card supplied by ZWO stored in a safe place and I am now using this copy going forward.

• By javaruba
      Hi all,
      After detecting a small fracture on the edge of the protective window of my ASI294MC Pro some time ago, I managed to replace it with a new one. ZWO describes the glass as "ZWO D32 AR" for the ASI294. AR probably stands for anti-reflective, not sure. I was wondering if the glass should be installed pointing in a specific direction, or is the anti-reflection both ways? I'm seeing some halos while pointing at bright stars but could be something else, see attached start image as a reference (a single frame exposure).
      Thanks in advance for any help.
      Kind regards,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.