SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus during the day

Victor Boesen

This was my first time observing Venus during the day, and I was surprised I was able to see Venus quite easily naked eye as soon as I had located it. The planet looked beautiful through the eyepiece and I was able to reach quite high magnifications. I felt like the top half looked like it had some slight changes in albedo, but I was very uncertain about this.

I managed to capture a video of Venus at different magnifications and a widefield image with the Moon and Venus in the same frame with my 135mm lens:

1509663204_VenusandtheMoonannotated.thumb.jpg.f3dde165d0c2a4ad8996d60d9be34a6c.jpg

Here's the link to the video:
https://youtu.be/gqffy1aexPc

It was fun seeing this planet during the day, and I was surprised how good the view was. If you haven't tried this yourself I would highly suggest you should;)

Victor

• Like 11

Nice video!

Not sure if I've got the eyes for it these days but I've found Venus with the naked eye a few times in the past. Also found Jupiter in bright daylight but only through the scope and with the Moon as a reference.

Looking at Venus with a bright sky is a good time to try and detect the phase naked eye. Something I've never been able to do.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul M said:

Nice video!

Not sure if I've got the eyes for it these days but I've found Venus with the naked eye a few times in the past. Also found Jupiter in bright daylight but only through the scope and with the Moon as a reference.

Looking at Venus with a bright sky is a good time to try and detect the phase naked eye. Something I've never been able to do.

I wasn't able to spot the phase naked eye. Don't know how people do that!! Thank you:)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

I have viewed Jupiter through the scope 45 minutes or so before sunset.

It didnt seem possible to look at it through the telescope, then back away and look up to not see it.

I agree, I dont think I have the eyes any more to do Venus.

I guess I should feel lucky with my eyes;) it does however seem easier to spot now that the sun isn't as high in the sky.

Venus was beautiful at dawn this morning, close to the crescent moon. I quickly set up my 12" dob to have a look, and it looked like the full face of the planet. In retrospect, I should have looked for Mercury as well, but am just a bit nervous about moving a telescope towards the rising sun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David J H said:

Venus was beautiful at dawn this morning, close to the crescent moon. I quickly set up my 12" dob to have a look, and it looked like the full face of the planet. In retrospect, I should have looked for Mercury as well, but am just a bit nervous about moving a telescope towards the rising sun.

I should try Mercury some time! I've actually never seen it through a telescope, only naked eye a little over 6 months abo.