Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings!

Mr Thingy

Hello to all! 

Nice place you have here 😊

I've been a casual observer for a number of years. In my case that means very occasionally dusting off my kit and having a short, unplanned session viewing whatever takes my fancy. 

But I've recently invested in better gear and keen to do some more active (and better planned) sessions, so I thought I'd join here for tips and tricks to make for more productive and rewarding sessions.

I also just took the plunge and bought some astrophotography gear, so please look forward to some silly questions from me! I love observing - and what treats the planets have given us recently - but I can't help wanting to turn that fuzzy blob into something with visible structure.

Sadly my HEQ5 is still on back order, but I plan to test my gear on the milky way with my static tripod and some very short exposures, just to get the swing of things. Fingers crossed for a break in the clouds.

-thingy-

• Like 2

Welcome to SGL  planning a night depends on what you like.  me i look at everything so start with jupiter and saturn due to them getting out of me FOV really fast then i move on to double stars , gas giants etc while i wait for mars to come from the back of the tree near me and if i get time i let my goto do a tour of the heavens 

But other than that have fun and enjoy the hobby 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard SGL thingy. Good to have you with us.

I find it very helpful to have a plan of some kind, however rough, otherwise I tend to look at my favourites and not really make the best use of the scant observing time we get in the UK. Currently on my list is a small collection of interesting doubles and variables, and some open clusters I've not looked at before. In particular I'm hoping to spend some quality time with RZ Cassiopeiae, which is a variable that drops over a magnitude over the space of a few short hours every 29 hours or so. I'm hoping to work out it's timing for myself and be able to accurately predict the next eclipse.

I rarely stick entirely to the plan as there's always interesting items in the neighbourhood that demand attention, but having a general direction of travel is useful.

Hope you get the clear skies to have some brilliant times with your favourites and some new jewels in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...