Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Heart Nebula RGB and SHO

Laurin Dave

The Heart Nebula in HaLum_HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB and HaLum_SHO.  These images combine data taken in 2019 (when I optimistically set out on a 4 panel mosaic) with my Esprit 150/SX-46 (25hrs Ha spread over all 4 panels) and Esprit 100/ASI1600mm (27hrs Ha and 16 hrs Oiii spread over all 4 panels and 8 hrs Sii over the two top panels) with data taken this year on my Esprit100/SX46 (3.5hrs Ha plus 2hrs each RGB) and GT71/ASI1600 (3.5 hrs Oiii and 5hrs Sii).  I also took 30 hrs of RGB data last year but was unable to satisfactorily merge all parts of the RGB data together. 

Processed in Pixinsight APP and Photoshop.

A bit of background….  The Heart Nebula, IC 1805, Sharpless 2-190, lies some 7500 light years away from Earth and is located in the Perseus Arm in the constellation Cassiopeia. It was discovered by William Herschel on 3 November 1787. It is an emission nebula showing glowing ionized hydrogen gas and darker dust lanes.

The brightest part of the nebula (a knot at its western edge) is separately classified as NGC 896 (The Fish Head Nebula), because it was the first part of the nebula to be discovered. The nebula's intense output and its morphology are driven by the radiation emanating from a small group of stars near the nebula's center. This open cluster of stars, known as Melotte 15, contains a few bright stars nearly 50 times the mass of our Sun, and many more dim stars that are only a fraction of our Sun's mass. Planetary Nebula Webo 1 can be seen on the left of each image just below the middle.

Thanks for looking

Dave

Heart_SHO_HaLum_HaR_OiiiG_OiiiB_Side_by_Side_50pc.thumb.jpg.77005a886a4ff68c1abcc4732cc0d29c.jpg

• Like 16

Fantastic images and a true dedication in imaging time...

Personally a big fan of the SHO version, the detail in the structure is impeccable, whilst not overshadowing the softness of the general nebulosity.

If these were mine they would be up on the wall!   

18 hours ago, Spongey said:

Fantastic images and a true dedication in imaging time...

Personally a big fan of the SHO version, the detail in the structure is impeccable, whilst not overshadowing the softness of the general nebulosity.

If these were mine they would be up on the wall!   

Thanks Spongey, I too prefer the SHO.  Its the Ha taken with the Esprit150 that adds the fine detail and the tiny stars (the above images are at 50%)..  however there's also the realisation from the data taken this year that I could have saved myself a the time and effort trying to do a mosaic if I'd taken the RGB last year on the Esprit100 :) ...    Where do you get yours printed?

17 hours ago, Phillyo said:

Beautiful work, very nicely processed too. Subtle yet striking. Love it. Definitely prefer the left version.

Thanks Philyo

17 hours ago, Kinch said:

Lovely work 👍

Thanks Brendan 

39 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Where do you get yours printed?

Hi Dave,

In the past I have had my astro shots printed (C-type print) on Fuji Flex paper, through https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/.

They are very reasonably priced for this type of printing, and I tend to go to a local framing shop for framing so I can get it just how I want!

As a heads up, you may wish to apply a slight additional stretch to the image before getting it printed, as Olly has commented on here: 

Cheers 

Really superb image Dave, I like both versions, as good as any I have seen. I was back to mistakes last night, took 90mins on SH 2 154 then moved to add to my M31, started the camera with Live View running, record absolutely nothing for an hour.

Alan 

5 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Really superb image Dave, I like both versions, as good as any I have seen. I was back to mistakes last night, took 90mins on SH 2 154 then moved to add to my M31, started the camera with Live View running, record absolutely nothing for an hour.

Alan 

Thank you Alan,  that's one of problems with this game...  remembering stuff late at night when you haven't done it for a while...maybe a check list

Dave

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thank you Alan,  that's one of problems with this game...  remembering stuff late at night when you haven't done it for a while...maybe a check list

Dave

Think it had more to do with  the glass of rakia in hand.😉

Alan

• Haha 1