SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking planespotting telescope.

tico

Hello,
I am looking for information on some telescope that I can use to observe airplanes when they fly at high altitude ...
Well, I will tell you my little story, I will try to be brief, it is essential to be able to use a zoom eyepiece because first you have to locate the plane with low magnification, then go up little by little without losing the visual field, if it gets lost it goes down to lower magnification and start again, I have done it with a short refractor telescope, (with a long refractor it is impossible, it is very low, close to the ground) and an image erector, but these refractors usually have a low focal length and then with the typical zoom From 8-24mm it reaches a maximum of 50 or 60X, clearly insufficient to see it close, its characteristics and livery ..., I have not tried the image erector + barlow, so I do not know what such a result this setup would give. .
On the other hand, I have used the odd spotting scope, very good in the sense that they are very manageable and fast in search and monitoring (they are short in size) but they only reach 60X, which is little to observe them at altitude.

On the other hand, I have thought that perhaps a small 90 or 100mm Maksutov, having larger focal lengths, 1250 or 1300mm, could achieve higher magnifications, but the problem may be that the smallest magnification is a bit high, around 50X, ummm , and I don't know if the visual field would be too narrow ... I understand that AC would be zero ..

I would be delighted to hear your opinions about it or if you have used a good telescope in this regard.

Best regards
Tico.

I quite like looking at high altitude aircraft now and again and have used all manner of telescopes up to 30" aperture.  It's difficult to give a recommendation as to the best telescope for the purpose due to their different characteristics.  If a refractor it needs to be at least an ED version, objects against a bright sky are very unforgiving concerning CA and you need the optical quality to stand the high power.  Probably a 80ED or a 102 Mak would be adequate, they both have adequate light grasp for, presumably, daytime use.  A zoom eyepiece would be a good choice and a 6x30 RACI finder would help with target acquisition.

• Like 3

You don't need high magnification but a zoom is almost essential to keep it in the field of view.
A camera is a neck breaker without a diagonal. Most terrestrial diagonals are 45°. A normal star diagonal will reverse the image.

By sheer coincidence I have recently been taking snaps of aircraft with a 400mm MFT zoom. [800mm equivalent in FF.]
This image has not been cropped to avoid increasing the magnification. Resized from 5000 to 600 pixels for the forum.

387702578_P1084129rsz600.jpg.674f0060e6d2dac45b134e6aa91796cf.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

A suitable mount for the purpose is likely to be a challenge.      🙂

Bird and plane photography uses a different kind of tripod head. These gimbal heads are very useful:

gimbal-head.jpg?fit=500,500&ssl=1

movo_photo_gh600_vertical_portrait_mount 

N.F.

Edited by nfotis
  • Like 2

I have used with good tracking results some spotting scopoes (some with ED lens) and I have been able to see good details and liveries with 60X and  a good manfrotto tripod with a 501 head, the maximum in these spotting scopes, all with zoom eyepieces, but I lack some magnification, I do not speak 125 or 150X, it would be a lot of power and it would be difficult to follow, but the 80 0 90X would be very good, it would be the mag. almost "perfect", a good balance between presentation of details, good tracking ...

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

I would suggest a long arm be fitted to the mount, it gives better control and avoids touching the telescope.  This method has been used successfully for tracking  and photographing the ISS.     🙂 

...and for directing traffic

137351272_download(3).jpg.b69cfe63e26c2e8b729fbf8f353ec8d7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Probably OK as long as you wear an anorak, Andrew.

🙂

Just what are you trying to say about me? I remember "train spotting" when it was a genteel pursuit (not that I did it).

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 1

The gimbal head is unsuitable for plane spotting because the telescope tries to pass through the base as it is tilted upwards.
A fluid damped, video head is more suitable provided the tripod is tall and steady enough.
Some spotting scopes can reach 95x but are expensive. Kowa 88mm fluorite Apo series with 1.6x tele-extender.
25-60x native zoom. Superb optics in a compact form with an upright image. I suggest the angled version for planes and birds.
Straight through for water birds, video and photography. Now I'm sounding like an advert. :grin:  Does that make me an influencer? :blink:

• Like 1