Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

beacon hill telescopes

seven_legs

Thinking of getting a Dob. I know of Orion Optics Uk but still waiting for a reply to my email I sent a couple of days ago.

so has anyone had any dealings with beacon hill telescopes lately?

i remember years ago my friend had a 10” dob from them and that was a great scope.

52 minutes ago, seven_legs said:

Thinking of getting a Dob. I know of Orion Optics Uk but still waiting for a reply to my email I sent a couple of days ago.

so has anyone had any dealings with beacon hill telescopes lately?

i remember years ago my friend had a 10” dob from them and that was a great scope.

I have passed a message on to Barry at beacon hill for you. He is pretty much retired now but I do know he still does the mounts.

2 minutes ago, martin_h said:

I have passed a message on to Barry at beacon hill for you. He is pretty much retired now but I do know he still does the mounts.

Thanks Martin. 

It all depends on me selling my 16” explore scientific dob. Which I will put up for sale in the next day or two.

No longer have it but it was called The Blue Whale an OD350 with a Stellarcat drive system.

Apparently changing colours with powder coating entails complete cleaning of the system which is a bit of a job.

3B9B4989-72D7-4C4F-B6D4-E538663FCA72.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Barry is still doing stuff at Beacon Hill (just spoken to him on the phone). He's excellent at making stuff to order. I have had his 14" dob since 1991 and it's given years of good service, but I now have an Orion Optics 20" which doesn't however allow quite enough latitude in focussing as I would like. Barry Watts is basically making an extension drawtube for me (in fact he guessed everything I wanted before I told him). I can certainly confirm that OO's optics are truly excellent and John's engineering is a thing of beauty in its design and especially accuracy. Collimation of my new scope involved tweaking ONLY the 3 main mirror screws and took about 5  minutes, possibly less!