Narrowband

SGP reverted to trial version

Davey-T

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Uninstalled all trace of previous version, installed 3.1** which installs with program folder and desktop icon, click on icon registration screen appears says 45 days left of trial version disappears and SGP doesn't start.

As I understand it, anything below 3.2 cannot be registered now, it will only work if registered prior to their licensing model changing a month or so ago.

If you want to use sgp as a new instalation, 3.2 upwards is the only thing you can do.

Anyone on less that 3.2 need to prevent updating if it works for them and they don’t want or need to update it.

Same with windows, on a dedicated imaging computer, if it works for you, don’t update.

1 hour ago, Astroscot2 said:

Im still considering giving SGP a try,  Ive seen the good reviews regarding NINA and it seems to tick all the boxes , however my problem is using PHD2 for guiding, I find guiding with PHD2 very hit or miss sometimes and for me nowhere as consistent as AstroArt,  SGP allows you to use Astroart for guiding while NINA and other sequence applications rely on PHD2.

Not sure what to do.

Hello Mark

At the risk of sounding like a N.I.N.A. 'fan boy' I would suggest directing your efforts to sorting out PHD2 and then using NINA.

The time spent fixing PHD2 will almost certainly be a lot less than setting up new sequencing programmes.

I was very unhappy about the way SGP treated its customers and tried NINA a few weeks ago. To say I am impressed is the understatement of the year. It is better, slicker, more polished and seems to be 'bombproof'. On a semi clear night recently I really hammered it - slewing all over the place and plate solving miles off target, meridian flips then slewing back to just before the meridian, autofocus after every image, unplugging and plugging in various bits of kit - simulating a power cut, closing down allied software like PHD2 etc, changing sequences mid run, and it never skipped a beat.

The support if you need it is fast and helpful. Importantly to a fellow Scot 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 IT IS FREE! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 and always will be.

After two weeks of using N.I.N.A. I deleted SGP completely.

I have no affiliation to any software providers!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

As I understand it, anything below 3.2 cannot be registered now,

Just had a thought I've got V3.0.0.7 running on my imaging laptop, as it's in an install folder do you think it would  work on this laptop or would it still need registering via internet.

Dave

If it’s running and already registered then you may be able to update to the latest 3.1.xxx.

Question is do you need to?

If you mean what I think you mean then no, you can’t migrate to another computer, I doubt the licence key will work.

It’s probably tied to mac address of the NIC (network adaptor) in the registered computer, so unless you change that and run the same version (effectively cloning the working pc) then you’ll probably be wasting your time.

Do you need it on anything but the imaging laptop?

2 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Hello Mark

At the risk of sounding like a N.I.N.A. 'fan boy' I would suggest directing your efforts to sorting out PHD2 and then using NINA.

The time spent fixing PHD2 will almost certainly be a lot less than setting up new sequencing programmes.

I was very unhappy about the way SGP treated its customers and tried NINA a few weeks ago. To say I am impressed is the understatement of the year. It is better, slicker, more polished and seems to be 'bombproof'. On a semi clear night recently I really hammered it - slewing all over the place and plate solving miles off target, meridian flips then slewing back to just before the meridian, autofocus after every image, unplugging and plugging in various bits of kit - simulating a power cut, closing down allied software like PHD2 etc, changing sequences mid run, and it never skipped a beat.

The support if you need it is fast and helpful. Importantly to a fellow Scot 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 IT IS FREE! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 and always will be.

After two weeks of using N.I.N.A. I deleted SGP completely.

I have no affiliation to any software providers!

That’s quite a stress test Billy! I’m pretty sure my version of SGP wouldn’t come through that, given that it routinely needs two bites of the cherry to connect to cameras and filter wheels at start up...

I am going to reconfigure my rig in the not too distant future, will give NINA a try out then.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tomato said:

That’s quite a stress test Billy! I’m pretty sure my version of SGP wouldn’t come through that, given that it routinely needs two bites of the cherry to connect to cameras and filter wheels at start up...

I am going to reconfigure my rig in the not too distant future, will give NINA a try out then.

Sounds similar to me. Going to find Nina a try too.  In fact I recently went back to APT and I really like it more than SGP too

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Sounds similar to me. Going to find Nina a try too.  In fact I recently went back to APT and I really like it more than SGP too

You're not the only one...!

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Only to practice indoors as I still haven't figured out all its nooks and crannies 

Ok, 3.2.xxx it is then!

DId you get the email with a special code regarding changing license servers? I had it on the 21st of September.

Just remove everything SGP related, reboot, install latest version and have an active internet connection to activate the license.

43 minutes ago, Jonk said:

You're not the only one...!

Ok, 3.2.xxx it is then!

DId you get the email with a special code regarding changing license servers? I had it on the 21st of September.

Just remove everything SGP related, reboot, install latest version and have an active internet connection to activate the license.

Yes done all that got new activation key but can't get it started to enter the new key.

Gets this far then nothing

544269661_SGPStart.PNG.f51773e35a6108607aebebeaef47c441.PNG

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

If it's stuck on that splash screen, that would suggest the SGP license server isn't responding.

How long have you left it before closing manually, or does it close itself?

As soon as it's said 45 days left it closes, so only there for less than 30sec's

Dave

11 hours ago, Jonk said:

If it's stuck on that splash screen, that would suggest the SGP license server isn't responding.

How long have you left it before closing manually, or does it close itself?

Did you see the latest post on the forum, do they seriously mean that if anyone installs ASCOM 6.5 they can't register SGP3.2.

If I was actually using SGP on this laptop I'd be quite [removed word] with them by now.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

I've just seen the SGP forum post, and i think what he means was 6.5 isn't compatible with 3.0.0.xxx

I would uninstall all sgp and ascom related things, and start afresh with the latest if both (unless you've already done this).

If I remember correctly, installing sgp without ascom won't work, sgp moans ascom isn't installed?

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Silence from SGP forum

I wouldn’t count on a reply!

Ultimate fix, wipe the computer and install fresh Windows 10 (latest), followed by latest Ascom followed by SGP, then once this works, install the drivers.

4 minutes ago, Jonk said:

I wouldn’t count on a reply!

Ultimate fix, wipe the computer and install fresh Windows 10 (latest), followed by latest Ascom followed by SGP, then once this works, install the drivers.

Got new 500GB SSD C drive on order as I'm fed up shifting stuff around to make space, also more memory to max it out, think once it's all installed I'll upgrade to Win10 Pro then have another go at SGP as there's no rush.

Dave