Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron astromaster 130eq focuser knob

Hi Guys, New here. I have recently purchase a second hand telescope (as title) but the focuser knob is missing. Not the entire thing, just the part that goes inside that holds the eyepiece if that make sense?

I have been trying to purchase only this part, as the whole thing is £40. Any help please? 

InkedInked81EwtXP64LL._SL1500__LI.jpg

The 130EQ is 1.25" (only) focuser. Casting my mind back to when I had a 130EQ I think the part you might be referring to the eyepiece holder that screws onto the focuser tube. If that is so all you will have at the moment is the end male threaded section. Is that so?

6 hours ago, Alfian said:

The 130EQ is 1.25" (only) focuser. Casting my mind back to when I had a 130EQ I think the part you might be referring to the eyepiece holder that screws onto the focuser tube. If that is so all you will have at the moment is the end male threaded section. Is that so?

Yep, you are correct sir. I think it's called the 'focuser drawtube'? Its the metal part that has a cog track on it. Thats all I need. I still can't see anywhere I can buy one from. Surely Celestron sell them? 

From your description, I assume you're needing that outlined in red, but do you have that outlined in green which secures the draw-tube within the focusser's housing?

focusser4c.jpg.2db52c3533e1c386291a5243b1fedce6.jpg

The upper, chromed part on the left is the draw-tube.  The lower black part is the visual-back which screws onto the draw-tube and holds the eyepieces.  The small parts on the right keeps the draw-tube from falling out whilst racking it in and out. 

Edited by Alan64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done that man! The 130EQ focuser illustrated doesn't get any better than that. I suspect the missing item is the one in the bottom red square. If the thread on the focuser tube is a male T2 then its an easy fix but from memory I think the thread is coarser than that and may be a different size altogether. When I had mine, I contemplated changing the focuser but on the Celestron, with its cosmetic plastic trim, its not quite that simple. Not an impossible job but I decided not to bother and upgraded to another 'scope. In terms of spare parts Astroboot are useful but at the moment are closed for refurbishment. A bit of a long shot but a wanted ad' on this forum might come up with something. good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2020 at 21:48, Alan64 said:

From your description, I assume you're needing that outlined in red, but do you have that outlined in green which secures the draw-tube within the focusser's housing?

focusser4c.jpg.2db52c3533e1c386291a5243b1fedce6.jpg

The upper, chromed part on the left is the draw-tube.  The lower black part is the visual-back which screws onto the draw-tube and holds the eyepieces.  The small parts on the right keeps the draw-tube from falling out whilst racking it in and out. 

Perfect thank you. But I cannot find anywhere to purchase these in the UK. :( 

On 16/10/2020 at 10:28, Alfian said:

Well done that man! The 130EQ focuser illustrated doesn't get any better than that. I suspect the missing item is the one in the bottom red square. If the thread on the focuser tube is a male T2 then its an easy fix but from memory I think the thread is coarser than that and may be a different size altogether. When I had mine, I contemplated changing the focuser but on the Celestron, with its cosmetic plastic trim, its not quite that simple. Not an impossible job but I decided not to bother and upgraded to another 'scope. In terms of spare parts Astroboot are useful but at the moment are closed for refurbishment. A bit of a long shot but a wanted ad' on this forum might come up with something. good luck.

Thanks very much for the reply my man. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnDenim said:

Perfect thank you. But I cannot find anywhere to purchase these in the UK. :( 

I have received individual parts for my focussers from the manufacturers, but under warranty, yet with myself to blame; no defects in either case.  Am I to understand that Celestron International will not sell you the individual part(s) you need; only the entire focusser, and for £40?

The chances of getting individual parts of a focuser are very small. Unless you can find another 'dead' scope to dismantle for spares, your only other option is to bite the bullet and buy a complete focuser assembly. (This might be an opportunity to upgrade to a better focuser).