Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

johninderby

Show Us Your StellaLyra Scope

Recommended Posts

Arrived earlier today. :) 

3231580E-304B-402F-9FD2-F27DF4B1969D.thumb.jpeg.6b62a72ca9879a1a0233afaaa2cd6c07.jpegA4E54E9D-C6AC-488D-A299-608A7A7ACE71.thumb.jpeg.fdfbc3018ffd4b848e334d4db6696a39.jpegD2FF7CD3-3870-42C7-9C4C-5010186F922F.thumb.jpeg.87c01f9925b24b8880552f6159b1d697.jpegE5DA236A-C131-4C4E-9C88-AD838EB1E73D.thumb.jpeg.b2ed1bc54c5a838a64a23f12862ee045.jpegFDAA0F43-8B7A-4C0D-8FEA-D123C5D86922.thumb.jpeg.e7e55eec3a6c24462189feef7ac284e4.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine on a CEM 25P

TS GS 1.jpg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seem to be some significant extensions to the rear on some of these setup photos.  I would have thought that the usual caveats regarding correction on Cassegrains when far from the design optimum would apply also to this model?      🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

There seem to be some significant extensions to the rear on some of these setup photos.  I would have thought that the usual caveats regarding correction on Cassegrains when far from the design optimum would apply also to this model?      🙂

Primary mirror is fixed with this model at correct distance and generous back focus is just feature of these scopes to allow for variety of attachments (2" diagonal, field flatteners and reducers, oags, filter wheels and so on).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Primary mirror is fixed with this model at correct distance and generous back focus is just feature of these scopes to allow for variety of attachments (2" diagonal, field flatteners and reducers, oags, filter wheels and so on).

Beat me to it. 😁

Must type faster. 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First light, sort of, with the CC6.

Wall to wall cloud last night but cleared up a bit earlier this morning. The only thing visable was Mars but thin cloud and unsteady seeing didn’t make for good views. Still better than nothing. For a couple of seconds at a time seeing would steady but then gone again. Just long enugh to start seeing some detail but frustratingly not long enough to see anything properly.

Still promising for the odd second here and there. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hopeful to purchase this scope and use on my AZ5 which has the heavier metal tripod. The current position of the finderscope bracket would place the RDF at a frustrating position. I assume there are screw holes on the other side of the OTA to enable the bracket to be moved. Can someone confirm this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes there are two sets of mounting holes for finder shoes. Will be adding another shoe to mine.

DC2040FC-183B-41C3-88B2-D660EDB93DD3.jpeg

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also grabbed a quick first light with the 8 yesterday morning. Conditions were pretty awful though with poor seeing and lots of moisture. Mars was low to the west by this point so not a fair test really but did manage to see some surface detail in the few moments of clarity. A good practice run though and confirmed things like the focuser can cope with the weight of binoviewers etc, so not a waste of time. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KNOBS

 

For helping remove the front dust cover that is, 😁

Got some M5 plastic knobs and fitted one to both the CC6 & CC8 covers.

24878A51-4EE7-4345-82D0-2F7E30366037.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2020 at 16:24, Peter Drew said:

There seem to be some significant extensions to the rear on some of these setup photos.  I would have thought that the usual caveats regarding correction on Cassegrains when far from the design optimum would apply also to this model?      🙂

There should be 230mm from the back of the OTA to the sensor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baader Diamond Steeltrack arrived for the CC6. 🙂

My CC8 has the older Steeltrack that fits without any focuser extensions. The new Diamond  Steeltrack has a slightly larger diameter drawtube that doesn’t fit into the rear opening on the CC8 so will require a 35mm extension. The scope only comes with 25mm and 50mm ones though. Telescope Express sells a 15mm extenstion that with the stock 25mm extenstion would give the 35mm.

The 6” has a smaller opening so the older Steeltrack won’t fit without the 50mm extension.

 

365F0C3D-09D3-463D-B4BE-640544DE81EA.jpeg

108F3FEE-DBA7-49BA-B301-7D2A0F17E734.jpeg

6B308D78-56D2-4D24-B13B-4B7D3CEE0824.jpeg

84A31891-A64E-48B0-93C9-56942F016698.jpeg

76AEB5FB-1CE6-466D-8902-4CCF329007A4.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All these different openings and adaptors make the hobby quite a headache, I have to admit.

N.F.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2020 at 19:49, johninderby said:

KNOBS

No need to be like that John! 😂

I see this knobs line feeds you handle thing quite well.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, nfotis said:

All these different openings and adaptors make the hobby quite a headache, I have to admit.

N.F.

 

It gives us something to do on cloudy nights 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

It gives us something to do on cloudy nights 🙂

 

Why do we need to go to another forum Jeremy? 😉

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alan White said:

Why do we need to go to another forum Jeremy? 😉

 

Strife, acrimony and abuse perhaps, Alan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philately, Numismatics or even train spotting. 🤔 😁

Reminds me there is something worse than train spotting. I am reliably informed that there are creatures known as Bus Spotters out there. 🙀🙀🙀

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Philately, Numismatics or even train spotting. 🤔😁

Reminds me there is something worse than train spotting. I am reliably informed that there are creatures known as Bus Spotters out there. 🙀🙀🙀

 

Bus spotters always come in threes

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Bus spotters always come in threes

And then you don’t see another for hours. 😁

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dare I beleive tonights forecast? 🤔

Chance for a proper first light for the CC6. 🙏🏼

8EC8DF7D-444C-41BF-B26F-DD639F1D425C.jpeg

 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been handled. 😁

ADM radius blocks and a WDS Ltd tube handle. Bought a handle with 400mm bolt centers and shortened it by 55mm as the bolt centers between the radius blocks is 345mm. WDS do the nandle with 350mm bolt centers but I bought the handle before the radius blocks arrived and didn’t want to end up with a handle that was just a bit short. The radius blocks have M5 threaded bolt holes in the center which I drilled and tapped out to M6. The WDS handle comes with M8 bolts but I wanted to use smaller M6 bolts so used some M8 to M6 shoulder washers under the bolt heads.

It’s now much easier to carry the scope as it can be done one handed and fitting it to the mount is also easier using one hand to hold thescope and the other to tighten the saddle clamp knob. 🙂

7808CF8C-6CFC-4F9B-BABC-FDDD12EA6126.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, johninderby said:

It’s been handled. 😁

ADM radius blocks and a WDS Ltd tube handle. Bought a handle with 400mm bolt centers and shortened it by 55mm as the bolt centers between the radius blocks is 345mm. WDS do the nandle with 350mm bolt centers but I bought the handle before the radius blocks arrived and didn’t want to end up with a handle that was just a bit short. The radius blocks have M5 threaded bolt holes in the center which I drilled and tapped out to M6. The WDS handle comes with M8 bolts but I wanted to use smaller M6 bolts so used some M8 to M6 shoulder washers under the bolt heads.

It’s now much easier to carry the scope as it can be done one handed and fitting it to the mount is also easier using one hand to hold thescope and the other to tighten the saddle clamp knob. 🙂

7808CF8C-6CFC-4F9B-BABC-FDDD12EA6126.jpeg

Phew, glad to hear it John. Was getting a bit worried about lack of handle

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2020 at 15:45, johninderby said:

It’s been handled. 😁

7808CF8C-6CFC-4F9B-BABC-FDDD12EA6126.jpeg

Got to hand(le) it to you John, those really do seem to make a difference in terms of practicality 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.