SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Deep sky observing plan

David J H

I’ve enjoyed astronomy for many years, and can navigate the sky from constellation to constellation reasonably well. It’s been interesting to see the sky from different locations, and to see how the map you have in your head changes depending on location. I’ve also had a 4” refractor for many years, but always found most deep sky objects difficult and disappointing through the eyepiece, so I pretty much gave up on them - M31 was never more than a grey smudge - and I spent my time on lunar and planetary observation, a lot of reading, and admiring other peoples’ photos of DSOs. 

I bought a 12” Meade Lightbridge dobsonian yesterday, largely on impulse, but with the idea of giving DSOs a good go over the next couple of years, as I would really like to see many of them with my own eyes. My main reference is the Messier catalogue, and I’m particularly interested in galaxies. I must say, some of the threads on here – particularly those by Qualia – are a brilliant reference point. I’m drawing up a list of the main targets I’m going to try to observe over the next year using the dob, and would really welcome experienced input into this, so that I can make the most of any clear skies that appear! Anyway, here is the current draft;

50450573293_e7117b3e11_o.jpg

Does this make sense? I'd really appreciate comments and suggestions on this approach, and what would be realistic to aim for.

Edited by David J H
  • Like 2

The first thing i noticed when I first aquired my 12 in dob was the amount of fuzzies that became visible. You will start to see detail in objects that were otherwise just faint smudges of light. Enjoy the new scope. A 12 inch dobsonian will really open up the deep sky for you.

• Like 1

I think that is a sensible start. I would also add the Caldwell catalogue to your list , it’s a list of bright DSOs compiled by Patrick Moore, I think there are some galaxies on there. I think the biggest ‘wow’ will come from looking at the brighter globulars through your 12” 🙂

Following this thread with interest.

I found a link to the Messier catalogue online somewhere that was listed by month. I'll add it if i can find it again. Some were too low for the urbanisation i live in, but it was good fun chasing them down. I missed a few first round so will have to revisit. There is also a list generated by Loughton astronomical society online that can be downloaded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fraunhoffer said:

There is also a list generated by Loughton astronomical society online that can be downloaded.

Yes just recently came across this one myself, it’s a great resource with all sorts of useful information for each object, highly recommended. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fraunhoffer said:

There is also a list generated by Loughton astronomical society online that can be downloaded.

Thank you - that looks very interesting, and I'll read it this evening as it's another wet & cloudy evening in store!

These NASA / Hubble guides to the Messier and Caldwell lists have kept me occupied over the last couple of days, and I like the guidance on finding the objects;

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/hubble-s-messier-catalog

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/hubble-s-caldwell-catalog

The Saguaro Astronomy Club Database (current version 8.1) lists a lot of wonderful and bright deep-sky objects. Highly recommended.

All Messier objects and therefore the objects on your list are well within reach of your telescope, and so are thousands of other galaxies. M83 may be a struggle from your latitude, it's intrinsically bright but never rises high above the horizon. It took me a while from a comparable latitude to finally catch a glimpse of it. The Virgo Cluster is wonderful because it's large and while cruising it, the field of view is continuously filled with dim patches of light - all seperate galaxies.

• Like 1

The Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas has objects colour coded by scope size and type, generated from lots of real observations. Find a chunk of sky that’s going to be easy to see (high, south, free of obscurarion) and that’s got enough stars for you to star hop with (unless you have goto). Pick a range of big/small, bright/faint and see how you get on. I like going away from the “usual suspects”. (There aren’t many messiers, not all the Caldwell are easy and there are NGC/IC that are bright)... lists like those above are a good starting point too.

Do you have a good erect image finder scope and some low power binocukars to make your job easier?

Good luck!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...