Narrowband

NGC 507 group, ARP 229

jetstream

A rain washed sky gave some astounding views last night.

The Milky Way was razor sharp which I studied as I dark adapted. A new (to me) observation was a nebulous like faint swooping connection between the spur (between Cyg and Cass) and the big hole just off Cass. This connection was a welcome addition to my MW observations.

NELM, who cares lol! SQM? in the house. Bortle? forget that scale.The Milky Way is my guide for sky conditions now.

A very good report by @Nyctimene had me wanting to explore an area I previously had not realized offered so much potential- the NGC 507 (ARP 229) group. What a rich, rich area to observe galaxies! The 15"/21E/10Delos provided great views- heres the list as I see it. I counted 8 galaxies seen but did not up the mag with the orthos to pull out more- this was just a fun session vacuuming up many targets,

So: NGC 504, NGC 507, NGC 508/ NGC 495,NGC 496, NGC 499/ NGC 515, NGC 517.

All were direct vision in the 10 Delos.

Off for more!

The Catseye nebula, NGC 6543 was its usual beautiful coloured self- did I see hints of its outer structure?:grin:

The long lost friend, the Lobster Claw grabbed my  attention immediately. SH2-157 showed more nebulosity in the area than ever before, there is a whole pile of it in this area, including the Bubble.

More and more seen last night but I won't bore with them! The night was finished with a nice lawnchair observation of the Milky Way, a good night to it if you will.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 7

Excellent Gerry -I'm living vicariously through reports at the moment. No hint of clear skies for the past few days and none forecast for the next week. That's the way it goes sometimes!

I like winding a good observing session down with the binoculars and one final long look at the skies around me before I call a stop to play. A good way to end the night (or morning).

I haven't been able to use GOTO yet this year with windy conditions, but hoping to see some new DSOs when that's available.

My last observing session  - the SQM-L was only reading 21.35 and it was supposed to be 21.95 on an exceptional night where I was at. No moon, so thinking it was perhaps the aurora - can't explain that was because it was seriously dark. Despite this, I still had probably the best view of the HH I've seen, and it was quite low in the sky. I like to put a nice, neat number on things, but with sky conditions, it can be misleading.

Enjoy those skies!

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

the SQM-L was only reading 21.35 and it was supposed to be 21.95

Mine varies too, its just the way it is I guess. I can go 21.9 at times, avg 21.6 with 21.8 being common. At least we don't say the sky is 21.8 period!(or whatever).

I find that observing down in a valley, pit or whatever can give more contrasted view by a bit- maybe the trees absorb natural skyglow or something. Of course I built my obs on a hill lol!

Transparency is key- under dark transparent skies the MW is just a ragged display of light. I use this mostly now but do SQM for the fun of it at times.

• Like 2