Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece choices for 12" dobsonian

David J H

Hello everyone. I bought a Meade 12" Lightbridge dobsonian yesterday, on impulse frankly, and enjoyed dodging clouds & rain yesterday for some initial views of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. I'm genuinely excited about what this telescope might be able to do!

The person who sold me the 'scope was really friendly and helpful, and included both the original Meade 2" 26mm wide angle eyepiece (59x on the Meade's 1524mm focal length), and also two 1.25" eyepieces (a 25mm Plossl (61x) and a 20mm Plossl (76x)). I'm mainly interested in using this telescope for visual astronomy on DSOs, for which I think these eyepieces will work well - is that a reasonable assumption?

For planetary and lunar observation, I think I need higher magnification. I do have a Baader Hyperion Zoom on order from FLO (8 - 24mm / 191x - 64x, in theory). Will this give me good quality higher magnification for the moon & major planets, or would I be better off looking for something else? Are there one or two absolutely stand out recommendations, for either 2" or 1.25" eyepieces, which will cover both DSO and planetary observation?

Edited by David J H

The X-Cel LX are much better than the older X-Cel's in an F/5 scope. Those might be the ones that Neil was referring to though ?

When I had a Lightbridge 12 I used mostly Tele Vue Nagler's but they are very expensive now. The Meade 26mm QX (the supplied eyepiece) is really not very good though so you will be replacing that in due course with a better 2 inch eyepiece.

In the F/5 optics you want something quite well corrected if you go to wider angle eyepieces. The Explore Scientific 68 and 82 degree range perhaps ?

Perhaps use what you have for a while plus the zoom and see how your opinion on what you like to use develops ?

1 hour ago, David J H said:

Thanks - I will have a look at these suggestions. I will probably see how the Baader Zoom performs, and whether I need anything more than that. 

You might find that adding a decent 2 inch 30-32mm eyepiece and, say, a 6mm, to the zoom would give you a 3 piece set that would cover most observing situations quite well. 

• Like 1

I have a similar 12 inch Dob (Orion XT12i, F4.9). I'm planning on buying the following: APM UFF 30mm, Baader Morpheus 14mm, 9mm, 6.5mm. I also have a shorty barlow, x2, from GSO, in case I need very high power on nights of exceptional seeing.

This array gives me 50x, 107x, 167x and 230x at 70-76 degrees of AFOV.

The APM UFF are gorgeous eyepieces for the price and perform as good as any other premium eyepiece. As john says above, a 30mm eyepiece along with the zoom and a 6mm would cover all your bases. I have 3 regularly used eyepieces in my big scope.

Depends on how much you you are willing to spend!!!

I have a 12" dob and use the explore scientific 82°s and they are fantastic-i would have gone for the 120° if I could have afforded it. Same as choosing a scope-always go with the best you can afford.