Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Askar ACL200 - First colour image (NGC7000)

Uranium235

Well, its been a couple of weeks before I was able to go out and grab some OIII for this one (always a challenge due to localised LP) - but its now in the bag and I've spent the morning processing it (still feeling pretty tired though.....lol).

So, the million dollar question - can this lens make a pretty photo?  Yeah, I think so :)

Had to crop a little bit out because of a medidian flip on the OIII, but I didnt lose that much. While I was there I also topped up the Ha luminance layer for a bit less noise in the outer regions.

One other note though... being as the lens body is almost entirely made of metal (and can hence get quite cold) - you do need to go out and adjust the focus after about 45 min from the session start... nothing unusual or different from any other telescope or lens really.

19x900 (Ha_L), 8x900 Ha_R, 8x900 OIII_G&B  - Modified cannistra biclour process

Askar ACL200, QSI6783, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

50444829427_5bbf400f0f_o.jpg

Ha luminance layer:

Ha_L_proc_85.thumb.jpg.887dbdd37015bd2d187557e855e6ee04.jpg

• Like 33

3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Looks pretty darn good Rob, did a bit of pixel peeping and can't fault it.

Have you tried any RGB with it yet ?

Dave

Havent tried RGB yet Dave, that will be my next box to tick being as M45 is now coming into view from my back garden (a bunch of very bright stars should be a good test).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LooseFur said:

Very nice, what aperture did you set the lens to? 

This was wide open at f4, using the 2/3rds focusing technique (not focusing on a centrally placed star, but moving it out 2/3rds towards the edge of frame).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Cor blimey, Rob, that doesn't look like a lens image! The stars are tiny.

I can safely say that I'm very impressed!

Olly

Might have something to do with the Astrodons :D  and a bit of processing magic.

On 13/10/2020 at 13:01, LooseFur said:

cool! I am struggling to get good stars across the image of my modded canon 6D at f/4. I can get the lower left corner good, but the top right suffers, and vice versa. Painful!

You have the same lens? Try 2/3rds, but moving the star towards the affected corner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

You have the same lens? Try 2/3rds, but moving the star towards the affected corner.

yes, same lens but I am on full frame so I am not sure how much of the lens area you are using with your camera ? Is it full frame?
Though I am very new to all this so I have a lot to learn! 
I opened a thread about this on CN actually (https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/734450-issue-with-asymmetry/). I can't seem to get both corners sharp (top right, bottom left)

Edited by LooseFur
added info

2 hours ago, LooseFur said:

yes, same lens but I am on full frame so I am not sure how much of the lens area you are using with your camera ? Is it full frame?
Though I am very new to all this so I have a lot to learn! 
I opened a thread about this on CN actually (https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/734450-issue-with-asymmetry/). I can't seem to get both corners sharp (top right, bottom left)

Im using the KAF8300 sensor - its just very slightly smaller than APS-C

8 hours ago, LooseFur said:

aaah ok - Yes, I am using full frame so you are not using the edges of the lens that I am...

In my experience, there are very, very few lenses or telescopes that can cover a true full frame (35mm+) with pinpoint stars. And those that do, cost a lot more (thousands).

• Like 1