Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I can't see planets.

Hello, 

I'm new to astronomy and have recently brought a low budget telescope (about £60). I've been out a few time to view Mars and the moon. 

Obviously I can view the moon clearly and with great detail but when I go to view Mars all I can see is a bright circle. 

I'm not sure if I'm being daft or what, but I can't find anywhere online that has an answer to this. 

Details about my telescope are: 

It's a reflector telescope 

Model 76700

Diam: 76mm

Focal length: 700mm

If you see a circle, the scope is not focused properly. Try using the 12.5mm eyepiece and adjust the focus until Mars appears at it's smallest in the view. It should then look like a very small pinkish spot.

11 minutes ago, harry_tarrant said:

Thank you! Do I need any lens filters at all? 

Not really. Just use the lower power eyepieces (20mm and 12.5mm) as you get used to using the scope. The 4mm will make things much more challenging because it gives very high magnifications - it might be useful to view the moon with though.

Edited by John

On 10/10/2020 at 00:57, harry_tarrant said:

Thank you! Do I need any lens filters at all? 

If you have a Moon filter you could try that (attach it to your eyepiece input end or the diagonal if there's a thread for it), it will just reduce the dazzling brightness as Mars is outshining all except Venus and the Moon at the moment.  To dim the view further you could try reducing the aperture of your telescope with a cardboard ring taped to the front, just to reduce the amount of light from Mars entering the scope.  Mars won't be this close or bright again for 15 years so worth a go to get the best views you can!  Mars will start to get dimmer from tomorrow but also further away.

With the disc being rather small in your scope you may not be able to discern surface detail, but if your view isn't too dazzling and keep looking you might just be able to make out differences in light and dark hemispheres. 

Edited by jonathan

If the eyepieces bundled with the kit allow for screwing a filter onto the bottom of the barrels, you might consider a variable-polariser...

605306732_variablepolariser7b.jpg.1dfd058a4e77965efcc37f0fd47c73d5.jpg

It's like a dimming-switch for a light-fixture within the home, but for the brighter and brightest objects of the night sky instead.  One section of the filter rotates against the other for adjustments.

I've used that one with great success, for Jupiter, Venus, and Mars...

Jupiter-Mars.jpg.60ea858915e7473db8e7d362c852a8a5.jpg

For Venus, and in seeing its Moon-like phases more distinctly.

Are you referring to just seeing a pinkish circle? If so then given your stated telescopes aperture then I am afraid that is all your going to get.

The 4mm eyepiece is too small, a 5mm would be better. 700/5 = x140 magnification.

However the lack of aperture is a big restriction on the detail you will see. 

If you can get to a place with a good unobstructed view of the south you will get a decent view of Jupiter and Saturn with your scope. Cloud belt of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn should be quite pleasing.

However if you want more then I am afraid it's wallet opening time.