Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tak TOE - finally able to report back

Highburymark

20 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

The prism also is available with the hypoteneuse surface BBHS coated, So there are both mirror and prism BBHS diagonals.

A prism is not recommended below f/7, but I'd put it at f/8, because I saw a lot of prismatic chromatic smear at f/7 with the prism.

The BBHS mirror prisms were all recalled last fall due to a bad quality on the mirrors.  Baader has yet to replace the stock with good ones,

so finding one might prove impossible right now.  If you find one, you want to be sure it is not from the batch made in the Fall.

The quality of the mirror after coating is the truly critical factor, which is the reason for the high cost of the AstrPhysics MaxBright and TeleVue EverBrite.

Thats really good to know. How about the Vernon scope diagonal or any others in the same ball park, e.g.   APM 2 inch DiagonalPrism with Fast-Lock and Ultra Broadband Coating?

edit: Vernon scope diagonal is £849 in 2" flavour, maybe not...

Edited by Deadlake

1 minute ago, Deadlake said:

I have an APM LZOS 130 mm / F6 on order. F6 due to being able to use it with a televue compressor for NV in case you where wondering why not go for the 9.2. 

Fantastic scope !

I have the F/9.2 and the optical quality is outstanding. The F/6's are just as good despite their faster focal ratio I've heard. The build of the scope generally is really excellent as well.

I use an AP Maxbright diagonal with mine but I'm mulling over a Baader BBHS prism in the 2 inch size as an alternative.

3 minutes ago, John said:

Fantastic scope !

I have the F/9.2 and the optical quality is outstanding. The F/6's are just as good despite their faster focal ratio I've heard. The build of the scope generally is really excellent as well.

I use an AP Maxbright diagonal with mine but I'm mulling over a Baader BBHS prism in the 2 inch size as an alternative.

I went with the phenolic tube as you mention not wanting to get my hands frozen to the tube...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I went with the phenolic tube as you mention not wanting to get my hands frozen to the tube...

Highly resistant to dewing as well - objective included :thumbright:

Edited by John

45 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I have an APM LZOS 130 mm / F6 on order (an AP130GTX you can buy without waiting for your lottery ticket to come up 😃, the TSA120 is F7 and a 130 TOA is to slow to cool and to bulky).  F6 due to being able to use it with a televue compressor for NV in case you where wondering why not go for the F9.2. 

Nice scope!

I would tend to think the LZOS APO triplet would like the prism, but don't know for sure.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Nice scope!

I would tend to think the LZOS APO triplet would like the prism, but don't know for sure.

I have the T2 prism, however it seems it will be some time before I find out about the mirror...

• Like 1